Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an old 1970(?) Hobie 16 that is still truckin' but I am slowly modifying and restoring it. We got it a few years ago thinking we would use it for a sail or two and toss it when it got to be too much of a burden to repair, but it is really holding out, and we have become attached to the trooper and now we find ourselves restoring it. I was able to find a complete traveler from another boat but when I took it off, I did not pay attention to which direction the new traveler was going to be installed. The hinge seems like it would make a difference, but I cannot find any info on whether the hinge face on the outside of the traveler would be facing the back or front. Anyone have a suggestion? To the best of my knowledge, it is a pre 1994 traveler. But obviously newer than my 1970. I do not know how many travelers there have been since that time. It is hinged with roller bearings and does not clip in. I will have to drill out my rail to install it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Even though my older style traveler track is riveted to the top of the rear crossbar, the top of my main traveler points aft, (just like on the newer integrated track traveler style). I replaced my traveler a few years ago by just removing two rivets in the track. Use 3/16 x 3/8" SS countersunk rivets.

I have a Marson VHR-2/Big Daddy rivet puller (tip of it's nose piece is wider than the track) so I had to put a few nuts on the rivet's mandrel in order set the rivets properly in the track.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL