Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are some questions regarding the anchor bar and pin at the shrouds. Do you tighten the pin into the bar as tight as it will go? The EU Hobie manual indicates to do this. It seems this is not required because the shroud should not be able to twist so much that the pin comes out. And not desired since the 7 hole stay adjuster might be at a strange angle.

Is there any issue with corrosion on the anchor bar. There is some on both my anchor bars. One is worse than the other; both seem to be solid though, and the corrosion just surface corrosion.

The next question is what is the purpose of the twist toggle, if the shroud can twist a bit to mate with the 7 hole stay adjuster.

Thanks,
Ted

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I de-masted several weeks ago due to an (probably 1982) anchor pin that simply snapped. Nothing lasts forever...even 1/4" stainless steel. The anchor bars can also stress crack, corrode and break around the pin threads. If you sail in salt water and/or leave your boat on the beach better plan on replacing everything sooner or later. We all buy new wires and think we're good. Think again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I leave my pins loose and don't use the twist toggles. Seems to work for me.
My hobie has been a real education about stainless steel. Apparently there is chromium in the steel that, when exposed to air, creates a passive film. This keeps the surface from rusting. However, as I have discovered, it can still corrode on the inside. In my case I have had several large shackels and one anchor pin and one shroud adjuster that looked pretty good on the surface just suddenly fail. After the third event of this type I replaced all the large stainless parts from the bars up the the top shackle. My plan right now is to do this every couple of years. I would prefer to do them all in titanium, which will last pretty much forever (shackles are easy to find in titanium and not that expensive), but I have not figured out how to the the bars and pins done that way.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I remember MM posting that the twist toggle should remain and the pin should be loose. Something about absorbing shock loads....you should be able to find it with a search. Numerous reports of pins breaking, and periodic replacement is advised. I don't recall hearing of a bar failing.....expect that would be very rare.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rattle 'n hum wrote:
I don't recall hearing of a bar failing.....expect that would be very rare.
My sailing buddy says he has had two anchor bars break. He's 72 and been sailing for 55 years so I tend to believe him. After having my anchor pin snap I'm replacing all of it before next season.