Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Folks,

I can remember watching a great youtube video of a bunch of H16 that went out for a race only to be caught by real bad weather back in the 70's.
Miraculously everyone made it and even one of the lost cats turned up some weeks later with little damage.

Cant remember the location the race took place, maybe SF?

Anyway I am sure I had this video saved as a favorite, but am suspecting it has been deleted from youtube!?

Any ideas?

Thanks
SRG

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

No worries I found it :-)

Fly Hobie Fly

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAir7zcRdX8&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Description:
ATTENTION our web address has changed to http://www.funtosail.com . Details of this Video.... What began as a windless regatta in the 1974 Can-Am Hobie Cat Race, from Port Angeles WA. to Victoria BC, ended in a race for survival!! Unexpected winds gusting up to 85 mph surprised the Hobie 16's in their round-trip race across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. You can purchase this video at donmccunelibrary dot com or go to funtosail dot com learn about Hobie's, etc. We hope you enjoy the clip of this amazing video... please support the company that has preserved this and other Exploration Northwest TV shows that won 26 Emmys! Visit us at http://www.funtosail.com

Could not get the video to embed, does the forum even support that? (Admin edited the URL)

SRG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for editing Admin.

Post subject: Can Am 74
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was in this race. It was between Port Angeles Washington and Victoria British Columbia, approximately 19 miles across the Straits of Georgia. The first day was a drifter and it took about six or seven hours to get across. The next morning we headed out for the start the winds were blowing approximately 20 to 30 kn. Our initial feeling was that the that this was going to be really fun. Within 20 minutes after the start the winds are blowing 40+ and we knew we are in trouble. I told my cousin Sue to just let the jib go, it was no longer needed. Within the next 20 minutes the winds were blowing in excess of 50 kn. The swells by then were approximately 6 to 8 feet high. By this time we are in the survival mode. In order to keep from turning over I sailed the boat in the trough on a broad reach in between the waves and avoided going over the top, which surely would of flipped the boat over. This put me off course substantially for where we are supposed to land on the Washington side that day. When we got within about 100 yards of the shore I realize I was headed for the rocks. I told my cousin Sue that we were going to have to tack and go back and into it again to avoid the rocks. She said oh please no but I said it had to be done. Fortunately the winds near the shore were only blowing about 30 to 40 kn. We sailed up the shore for about a quarter-mile before tacking into land on a sandy beach. This is actually in the movie where it says, "Craig Bergsma and Sue Yeoman landed slightly off course". Out of 12 boats, only 6 made it across, 3 were set adrift, 2 were towed to Victoria and 1 was towed to Port Angeles.We were the only Hobie that did not turn over. This is a true story and one that I do not think can be topped by any Hobie cat race story!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The link to the video says "video unavailable"
Is there another way to watch the video, sounds like an interesting story for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk