Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am about to purchase my first H16 and have a few options open to me for where to learn to sail.

I live very close to both the ocean and inter-coastal waterway here in NE Florida.

Is the ocean to rough or risky (run away boats ect...) to learn to sail in?

Is the wind in the inter-coastal water way even enough to get the H16 moving?

Any thoughts or advice would be wonderful. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Definitely start out in the intercoastal. There will be plenty of wind- depending on wind direction it will likely be the same or possibly even stronger than on the ocean.

Ocean sailing is expert territory, you have to have your s**t together to launch and return through the surf as well as handle ocean swells and know how to sail back to the beach. You need to know what to do in case of capsize, what to do if the weather changes, and just have an overall comfort level with your boat and your ability. The ocean is not the place to be making beginner mistakes, especially when you have the intercoastal right next door. Spend a season on the intercoastal and then when uou feel more comfortable on the boat consider whether you want to tackle the ocean. Sailing on the intercoastal will provide you with more than enough challenges.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

srm wrote:
Definitely start out in the intercoastal. There will be plenty of wind- depending on wind direction it will likely be the same or possibly even stronger than on the ocean.

Ocean sailing is expert territory, you have to have your s**t together to launch and return through the surf as well as handle ocean swells and know how to sail back to the beach. You need to know what to do in case of capsize, what to do if the weather changes, and just have an overall comfort level with your boat and your ability. The ocean is not the place to be making beginner mistakes, especially when you have the intercoastal right next door. Spend a season on the intercoastal and then when uou feel more comfortable on the boat consider whether you want to tackle the ocean. Sailing on the intercoastal will provide you with more than enough challenges.

sm

Nah. Just go straight out into the gulf. You will learn really quick. Just kidding. He gave good advice. My first solo (20 years ago) was in the gulf. Yup. Flipped it!!!!! But I did learn how to right it!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are not an experienced sailor, I would take it too a reasonably sheltered bay or a lake on a light/moderate wind day just get comfortable with your boat. Hobie 16s can move very fast when the wind picks up especially if you are solo. If the wind is up, it's not a bad idea to weight the boat down with a couple of friends or kids to until you get the hang of things. If you venture into the ICW, do it on a weekday when the traffic is light. It's hard to learn to sail when you are dodging boat traffic.

I love ocean sailing but it's not any place you want to go until you know exactly what you are doing. Errors in the ocean can get dangerous and expensive.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Richardm1564 wrote:
I am about to purchase my first H16 and have a few options open to me for where to learn to sail.

I live very close to both the ocean and inter-coastal waterway here in NE Florida.

Is the ocean to rough or risky (run away boats ect...) to learn to sail in?

Is the wind in the inter-coastal water way even enough to get the H16 moving?

Any thoughts or advice would be wonderful. Thanks!

I had no sailing experience when I first learned to sail and I learned in the Pacific. I had nothing to campare it to so I didn't know the difference. I remember praying for 5mph winds but after a while, I wouldn't put my boat in the water unless winds were at least 10mph. I think your choice is relative. I got all the difficult stuff over with early. One of the good things about my situation was that there were always other sailors (and lifeguards) around. The challenging conditions (high waves and high winds) made me want to sait in conditions that most sailors wouldn't sail in. Most of the beach cats would only sail coastally. I was one of the few that would sail offshore. I got so good at righting my boat solo ( got that over with early) that the Long Beach Lifeguards asked me to train their entire staff every year at catamaran capsize and rescue.

I've never sailed on a lake and the only thing that would attract me to them would be flat water. I'm not famiar with the conditions in your area or the conditions you're willing to sail in so my opinion won't be worth much. All I can say is "as challenging as you can stand it." You'll have to figure that one out for yourself.

David