Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New to Old Hobie 16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Christmas time early! The original owner found a stash of parts for me in his storage locker. I now have a 5:1 Seaway main-sheet system, a new main halyard, 2 more complete goose-neck assemblies, spare jib blocks) assorted pins, shackles, rudder pins, a 57mm triple block(?) and a fiddle block. I don't know what the last two were intended for. I did just buy a Tampa Cat mesh trampoline (I know Hobie makes a far superior trampoline but budget is still essential). I bought a Sta-Set jib sheet and jib halyard.

Submitted my paperwork and check for a trailer tag....waiting on DMV. Did discover that the boat is a 1986...had some misleading information on how to read the hull SN.

Now to work on the hulls...when I started cleaning them, noticed a few small repairs on the port pontoon. The spider webbing along the hull-deck joint bothers me. Are these just gelcoat cracks? The decks have no soft spots. This boat had sat outside for 2 1/2 years unused.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, just Gelcoat cracks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you SXRRacer. I'm going for functional....not pretty. Until I get the boat in the water, don't even know if the Hobie will fit my family needs. Back to my original post...I want to teach my step-daughter how to sail. Made the mistake of showing my wife YouTube videos of the Hobie-16 in action. Being my best friend, I would like her to enjoy sailing with me. She did not appreciate the footage on pitch-poling.

Now to clean and seal the hulls....I think I will try some of the 3-M products. Paint the rudders, and sand/paint the comptip.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Shipping will kill you - so you must be buy local. Watch craigslist and buy a complete boat. (parts boat) and swap the BEST of both to the best hull set. I did this with my first boat. I ended up buying 3 hobie 16's to piece a great one together. Then sold extra parts to cover their cost (getting me the parts for nothing).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dakine....

how much for the 57 mm triple?
Any pictures?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My two cents....

The best advice you've been given so far is to empty the mast and make sure it's sealed....do that before worrying about appearances. Search these forums for details.

It sounds like you don't even know yet if this is the boat for you, so spend as little cash on upgrades as possible. Forget the low-profile main blocks if the Seaways are functional. If the main sheet is old/stiff/fuzzy, replace with something economic like Sta-Set (7/16"). Downhaul purchase should be a nonissue at this point.

The 57mm triple sounds like part of a 6:1 mainsheet system. If you don't have the rest, sell it. The fiddle block is likely a spare for the jib halyard (a pic would help)?

Buy Invitation For Sailing by Alan Brown for your step-daughter's Christmas stocking. Nothing to do with cats, but some winter reading will get her started on the terminology, basics, etc.

Don't go out in anything above 8-10 MPH for a while, and you won't have to worry about pitchpoling!

Good luck....hope all goes well for you!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for that sage bit of advice. Installed the trampoline yesterday. The weather was nice enough today I could roll my boat out in the driveway and for the first time set the mast and hoist the mainsail. Nice feeling. My Hobie won't win any beauty contests but it will do. My step-daughter watched the whole process and was excited. Definitely a challenge lifting the mast on a sloped driveway.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have a slope. Point the boat bow down. Makes stepping the mast even easier!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Downhill would work better. I could also attach to the Jeep and park it along the curb for assembly...same way I would at a boat ramp. Just trying to make sure I understand the rigging and what is missing. Being pre-programmed from an impressionable age by DoD to practice, practice, practice...will go through this drill another dozen times before the boat ever makes it to the water.