Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OK for beginner
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had a person tell me that a Hobie Cat was too much boat for someone who does not know how to sail.

What do you guys think?

He was also saying that if you buy a used one for about $800 you will probably have to put another $1200 into it.
The one I am looking at has been sitting outside unused for the last couple of years. The tramp supports at least one person because the owner jumped up on it to show me. Although there is a silver dollar sized hole in it. The hulls seem in good shape, too. The sails have been stored in a garage.
Do you think he is right about having to put more money into it since it is an older (70's) model?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bullsnake,
I can relate to your questions. I bought a '79 for $700 and don't need to put any money into it. The sails, tramp, and hulls are in good shape. I'm sure when I get more advanced there will be some upgrades I will want. But for now it is ready to sail and is a blast. The only sailing experience I had before was on a laser(too small and touchy for me). If you start out in 5-10mph winds and work on your tacking and handling you'll be just fine. The boat is a true pleasure to sail and I can't wait till I'm more comfortable and confident in higher winds. Then it will really be fun.

All of the folks on this site are very helpful so just ask when you have a question. I have found that the hobie sailors at my lake are also very willing to help in any way. Go for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to hearing other's opinions.

I assume that you got a 16' considering the forum?

That's funny you mention a laser. This guy said I should get a laser or sunfish to learn on.

Does anyone think the rigging (lines and such) could go bad from sitting outside for a couple years?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bullsnake - If you want to learn to sail a Hobie, you should get a hobie.
You really should have a knowledgable person go with you to check out the boat/boats; and then show you how to rig & sail it.
Tell us your location so we can direct you to the nearest fleet or Hobie dealer.
Also, from your previous post it sounds like you would be better off getting a Hobie Getaway for your needs. They're fairly new so you may have trouble finding a used one - to save money.
Many people who don't race belong to fleets. There is a wealth of good information in local Hobie Fleets. You need "hands on help"; not written help on this post.
Good luck!
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree about the hands on being much better than reading.
I don't think the Getaway is for me since they would be much more expensive, and I can see myself wanting better performance later than it could offer.

I am in Boise, Idaho.

I have tried to contact the Southern Idaho Sailing Association, and they have not gotten back to me yet.

I think you're right; I will just have to get a 16' and learn to sail on that. It is the cheapest of what is available for me right now and sounds a little easier to handle than an 18. If I find it does not suit my needs, at least I will have the experience at that point to know for myself.

Thank You

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Agree with above. Get a Hobie and learn on a Hobie. Start in light winds and work up. I bought my Hobie 16 when I had NEVER BEEN ON A CATAMARAN IN MY LIFE. I had sailed a sunfish once and crewed a monohull a couple of times. That was it. When I bought the cat, I had a guy take me out a few times, and the rest is history. The wife and I have been sailing it ever since. I still have a ton to learn, but you won't learn it unless you get out there and do it. I wouldn't recommend taking it out by yourself until you get the hang of it, so find someone to help you out and go for it. Have fun!

2005 Hobie 16 - Ventura Nationals Boat #21
http://www.JackieandAlan.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good call, Bullsnake. Just do it! (but read up, too. there's a boat-load of valuable info in this forum)

I learned to sail on a Hobie 16, and do my best to avoid tippy, boring monohulls. My father-in-law takes me out on his 29' monohull in the SF bay about once a month, but I find that sailing to be good for drinking and watching the sun set - zzzzzz.... Not for me. On the other hand, he about pees his pants from terror when I get him on the Hobie, but that's just my kind of sailing. Thanks, Hobie!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can anyone out there help Bullsnake find a Hobie dealer & a Hobie Fleet in or near Boise, Idaho? Names. Phone numbers, E-mail.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As far as the closest "authorized" dealer from Hobie's website, that would be in central Oregon. Quite a ways from me. Not to mention that was the gentleman that advised me against the Hobie and sparked this post in the first place.

The only fleet or club nearby that I am aware of so far is the Southern Idaho Sailing Association. I believe that a couple of them have hobies, but it seems like most have monohulls. They have regattas every once and awhile; usually within a couple hours driving time from where I am.

If any of you know of more resources nearby, I would appreciate info so I can learn how to sail the right way and fly a hull asap. That is after I actually get the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

About 6 years ago, I got the idea into my head that I wanted to buy a Hobie and learn to sail on. I found an H16 for a good price, read a few general books on sailing, and hit the water. The first few times out I spent more time righting than sailing. After a few trips I was able to keep the boat upright, and within a year I was zooming around the lake flying a hull. The next season I was on the ocean off the coast of MA sailing solo and loving it. I had no previous sailing experience. Just go do it, you will love it. The H16 is the perfect boat to learn to sail on. Easy enough to pick up quickly, but powerful enough to keep on challenging you.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bull,

I had never sailed before, took a "H16 ride" on Saturday afternoon (including a pitchpole) and bought a new one the next week. As they used to say back then, "If you ever wanted to learn to sail, learn to sail the Hobie way"! :)

It was nice having someone to ask questions of, so here's the listing for Idaho. Hopefully they can put you in contact with people in Boise, if not, ask questions here.

http://www.sail-s.com/Education_Clubs/Hobie_Fleet_926.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hmm, Do not start with buying a boat... Find a sailing school - take a basic class. If there is no sailing school available in your area find some one who takes you for a ride. I regularly see owners of bigger stuff looking for crew, because they are not comfortable taking the boat out on their own in more than 10 m/h wind.
I am not sure if a Hobie 16 is the best way to learn to sail. I do not think there are many sailing schools that would use a Hobie 16 to train beginners. A 16 has a bad a$$ ratio between size (hull length) and sail area - resulting in a pretty powerfull rigg. Very powerfull when it blows.

On the other hand Hobie sailing is fun and fast. A 16 is a pretty simple boat - not much trim or adjustment on the go. There are many used boats available and tons of parts available for cheap. A 16 has about the best $$$ vs. speed ratio on anything with a sail (hmmm, except windsurfing stuff)

If you want a Hobie and you are not set on a 16 you might want to think Hobie 14 - this is a bit milder - not sure how easy it is to find a good used one these days. If you are not set on Hobie you could also consider a Prindle 16 (a bit milder than a Hobie 16 and dirt cheap)

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been on a sailboat before I just have not personally navigated one. When I was younger, we used to go to Cour de Lane every summer and sail on my grandfather's boat. It was a monohull, probably about 25'. I liked it very much. I also go powerboating and really enjoy waterskiing quite a bit so I know what it is like to be on the water.
I know there is a big difference between these types of boats, but I like to go fast, so I can see myself getting bored with a monohull. That's why I am looking at the cats.
I can also see myself "outgrowing" a 14' rather quickly.

I'll just get the boat and post again after I sail it a few times. If I don't like it Patrick can tell me, "I told you so".
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Geez Patrick, you've got to live a little, life is too short.

I could have bought a 14 or Laser to "learn" on and as bullsnake said, quickly outgrown either one.

I came from a powerboating, skiing, wakeboarding background and THE NEED FOR SPEED was paramount. Either we're going on the fastest (or one of the fastest) sailboats around or...we're not going.

Bullsnake,

Any luck contacting fleet 926?

Here's some good reading for novice sailors.
http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=1686&MenuID=Training/10812/0

"Damn the training wheels, full speed ahead" 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It looks like fleet 926 is in Cour de lane. Pretty far from Boise. They probably won't be much help for me.
I know a couple people who know a little more than me about sailing, so it will be fun learning and I don't mind getting wet.

Thanks for that link. I can see it will be really helpful.