Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast cleats on new boat
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I jus picked up a new 2012 boat and I've got all the stuff to install the power pack. One of the cleats on the mast to me seems to be in a weird spot. On my old 16 the cleats are on the port and starboard side of the mast and also a cleat in the main track for the downhaul. This new mast has a cleat on the front, starboard side and the main track.
Should I move the cleat that is on the front of the mast? It seems like it would be in the way for installing the jib halyard upgrade for the power pack.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think it has been like this since the Aussie halyard became standard. This allows for the Jib Halyard to be tied off in the front, where centering the downward tension of the halyard is preferred, as opposed to the port or starboard side. This allows for more consistent mast rotation from side-to-side. Especially with how much tension is cranked on with the Aussie halyard.

Some will make the modification allowed for in Rule 4 of the IHCA Hobie 16 Class Rules, where you can add a second cheek block to the port side of the mast, and also add a cam cleat and second horned cleat for tieing off. This allows for easier "adjusting" while out on the water.

I was surprised however, at the US Multihull Championship recently, that not that many of the boats made the Rule 4 modification.