Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am looking at a used 16, and would like some pointers from current and past 16 owners.

It's a 1985 boat and has been stored out of the weather since new.

Are there any issues aside from regular delamination concerns that I should be looking for in this era? I remember reading somewhere that 16's dropped a few pounds around that time and seem to resist delam a little better than 70's and early 80's boats.

The rigging on this boat is solid, but will be replaced (I'm a stickler for knowing exact age of rigging), trampoline is above average with hiking straps still solidly attached, trailer is good for the era, just checking the things that you would typically check on any used cat.

I have sailed an '83 H14T for a few years and I'm moving to a 16.

It's a Coleman boat...are 16's from this era pretty solid? I've been looking at 16's since I bought my 14, and this is by far the best one that I have come across.

Appreciate the feedback!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Lets see some detailed pics of the boat in question :) "stored out of the weather since new" is MEGA RARE! Any hobie thats been outside baking in the sun for 25+ years can delaminate... I've seen late 70's boats that look like new and late 80's boats that barely float. Depends on a lot of factors.
Get the newest boat you can find/afford.... hobie made a ton of small yet very well thought out upgrades to boats in the 90's and forward. If you plan on racing, you need a 2000 or newer boat for the stiffness, tight hardware and great crisp sails. IMHO. The core foam material shouldn't worry you much if the boat you're looking at is in great condition. :mrgreen:

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

An '85 should be a "red glue" boat. Check the seam under the hull flange. If you see a red stripe running down the middle of the seam where the hull and deck are joined, this is a "red glue" boat. There was a manufacturing process that took place that started with these boats and allowed the hulls to be built lighter. This doesn't mean that the hull can't still suffer from delamination. On a 30 year old boat, you want to check the hulls very carefully for soft spots.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain