Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a fairly new Hobie owner. I've got two questions on maintenance now that I have my boat put up for the winter. The boat that I have is a 1984 and I think in a lot of cases still has original parts. In fact, the rudder cams are still riveted in so over all the boat is well cared for.

1. The first question is on the trampoline. The hiking straps are pretty much gone so I removed the trampoline so that I can get new straps sewn on by the local sailing shop. My question is on how flexible the material should be. This tramp will hardly bend at all and is quite stiff; it was tough to roll up when I brought it home. Is that the way it is supposed to be? Is there a way to fix that? Based on the cost of having new straps sewn on, is it worth fixing or should I just get a new one. So far my experience with a mesh tramp has me wanting to stick with the vinyl tramp.

2. The other question is on the jib halyard. Because of the age of the parts, I had planned on replacing the forestay. The cheek block nylon wheel is messed up, and the halyard block wheel is totally missing. So in the case that I need a new cheek block, a new halyard block and a new forestay, should I just upgrade to the Aussie halyard and skip the other. If you remove the cheek block, what do you do to seal it the holes on the mast?

Thanks for the help.

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:42 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Aye Carumba wrote:
1. The first question is on the trampoline. The hiking straps are pretty much gone so I removed the trampoline so that I can get new straps sewn on by the local sailing shop. My question is on how flexible the material should be. This tramp will hardly bend at all and is quite stiff; it was tough to roll up when I brought it home. Is that the way it is supposed to be? Is there a way to fix that?
No and no. New tramps are very flexible. The vinyl in yours will crack - sooner rather than later. The fabric reinforcing will hold it for a while, but it's done.

Aye Carumba wrote:
2. The other question is on the jib halyard. Because of the age of the parts, I had planned on replacing the forestay. The cheek block nylon wheel is messed up, and the halyard block wheel is totally missing. So in the case that I need a new cheek block, a new halyard block and a new forestay, should I just upgrade to the Aussie halyard and skip the other. If you remove the cheek block, what do you do to seal it the holes on the mast?
Go to the Aussie halyard and leave the cheek block, even if you don't use it. If you're hell-bent on removing it, seal the holes with rivet sleeves and new rivets.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

yes replace your tramp. repair your existing jib halyard system. only upgrade if your going to get into racing. Ive had my hobie 16 for 23 years and still sail with the old system.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

30 year old tramp, yea, it's probably about done. I wouldn't put any real money into it. If you want to add hiking straps, buy a cheap hand grommet kit (mcmaster carr has them for less than $15), pop a few grommets in where the old lacings were stitched on, and run rope through the grommets with some pipe insulation wrapped over the rope to act as padding. Don't pay someone to fix the tramp because you will probably only get a couple more seasons out of it at most.

By the way, Hobie still offers solid vinyl tramps in addition to mesh. The vinyl comes in any color you want, as long as it's white.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies.

sounds like the tramp is the higher issue right now so that is what I will look at doing.
racing...probably something I will do at some point, just not sure when. Of course there will be the pressure from the other sailors to get out there.

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Should not feel pressured to race.It is something you only do if you want.The reward is it will improve your sailing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Having a lower turning block for the Aussie is pretty popular. There are pics here on the forum showing that. So even if you do switch, you may want a block down there but it obviously won't be the same one (because you can't fix that one AFAIK).

I'm in the same boat you are with the broken lower turning block. Haven't dealt with it yet but I will probably do so by changing it to a better one for the Aussie.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anton,
the sad part is that I had already bought a new cheek block (without rivets) and halyard block, but for the life of me I cannot find them. The only thing I can guess is that I threw it out with the packaging. otherwise it is hiding really well.

mmadge,
on the racing, not too much as issue for me. 1. I race model airplanes so the racing part is in my blood. 2. I work for a company that makes sailing instruments and equipment. It is the work that I did on some of that engineering that got me interested in getting into sailing again. Most of the equipment will be on larger ocean-going boats and little application for the Hobie. I wish I could get a water speed sensor and wind transducer with some of the mast mounted instruments. But the racing aspect is something that I will most likely want to do. And like I said, there will be pressure from some of the other sailors in the fleet...hope he doesn't mind me dropping his name, but one Ron Holm comes to mind.

I've already picked up a 6:1 downhaul, and have some new sails on the way. so now, as the winter passes here in the cold Midwest, time to get some other parts.

Anyways...Doug