Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobieandy wrote:
I believe most of these "go fast" ad-on things don't really make much difference to the average sailor. playing with the down-haul can be a distraction and will actually slow you down or take you off course. Just over or under steering a little bit at A-mark can cost you a few boat lengths. Down-haul on a 16 Just isn't a super important adjustment. Now adding the jib traveler system is a good idea because simplifies jib car traveling. For most of us the best thing we can do to the boat to make it faster is easy and free......Sail more.

I agree getting hung up on playing with every string is simply going to slow ya down. What I have done (love to do) I think has helped me more than anything else is to sail at night. (darker the better) It forces you to just tune in and 'feel' the boat.

With that being said I think the 'go fast' adjustments can be very beneficial to even the newest sailors. I had a new guy out yesterday on my H16. With the sporty downhaul and jib halyard setup I could 'crew' for him and easily show him how radically one could change sail shape. With the stock setup demonstration of fine adjustments would have been much more difficult.

Easy to make adjustments are going to get made. This IMO helps skippers of all flavors.

Sent from my stone tablet