Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well it was a hobie day at our house!!! And the shopping list just got longer!!!Image

So we just set up our boats for the first time since we retrofitted our mast with our comp tip. We purchased a used H16 mast halyard but it seems short. When you try to tie the halyard off to the cleats it is not long enough. When standing on the tramp both ends of the halyard are about 4 feet above the bottom of the mast before the sail is up. We measured the halyard and it measured to be about 52 feet.
I would have thought that it should be long enough to tie off to the bottom cleats so they are not just hanging slapping in the wind.
Is this how other are? If so, how do you tie it off for storage? I don't understand why it is not 5 ft longer so it could be tied off.
Let me know if this is just how it is and what you guys do! Thanks so much!!

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:42 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

That's not how it's supposed to be. It sounds like you have the halyard from a Hobie 14, but that would be a lot shorter.

The mast is 26' long, so 52' should be long enough - what are you doing with the shackle end of the halyard when you store it?

Most people slip the shackle into the sail feed slot, then snug it up and cleat the other end - but the halyard will slap in the wind with the mast up.

For mast up storage, I usually clip the shackle to one of the trapeze rings, then tie the free end loosely around the same trap ring. That keeps the halyard away from the mast and eliminates the *ding*ding*ding*ding*ding* sound of the halyard beating itself to death on the mast.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That makes since. Our is not long enough to attach to the sail feed slot and cleat off. When I lower the shackle end i have to raise my arm above my head to keep holding on the other end so it doesn't blow away. It seems short but maybe this is how it is?

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:16 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

That is not how it is. I think someone shortened it (for whatever reason).

The Hobie 14's halyard will "work" on a 16, in that the distance from the shackle pin to the stop is the same, so you can latch it in.

I just compared my 14 and 16's halyards, and the 14's halyard is 9' 10" shorter than the 16's.

You could "fix" it by tying a short length of line to the bitter end. It's not like that part has to go through the sheaves at the top of the mast.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Elkyjason wrote:
...When standing on the tramp both ends of the halyard are about 4 feet above the bottom of the mast before the sail is up. We measured the halyard and it measured to be about 52 feet.

With a 26' mast I don't see how this can be. It sounds like the length is about right, so if these comp tips were just installed I would say the masts weren't shortened properly but they look right in the picture.

Can you just check your measurements? Measure the mast and the halyard, and see how half of the 52' halyard can be 4' shorter than the 26' mast? I don't have my boat here but the halyard being just under twice the length of the mast sounds right. When I hook the shackle onto the mast as Matt describes, there is about a foot and a half of halyard to cleat off.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will get the mast out on Thursday and re measure. From what you guys are saying is that it is much shorter than it should. Like Matt said I could just add some line to it since it doesn't go through the sheave. We bought it on eBay from tdive5 and he wrote me back appologizing for sending me a short halyard and he is going to send me another one free and said to keep the short one for a spare. Pretty good customer service there!!!

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

To confirm... the CompTip halyard uses 51 feet of line and has another foot or so wire, So check the line length to be sure.

On the CompTip install... looks correct in the photo:

Current install instructions and dimensions here: http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/13070100CTIP.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt. I am going to confirm the measurement but just based off what people are saying I believe it is short. It should be able to get tied to the bottom cleats when stored correct?

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, shackle in the track opening and line end tied to the cleat is typical.

At 52? feet total halyard length...

The mast is 26'

The cleat is about 8" up. The slot is about 30" up (top of slot), so halyard has to reach (26' - 8") and (26' - 30")

624" + 4" across head - 38" = 590"... 49 feet

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is the comp tip still available to retrofit to older masts? I may have to look for one. My neighbers mast just had a tree fall across it and crushed the top 3-4'. I figured they would need to find a whole replacement mast. This might be a solution. I assume that I can just re-use the old halyard and fittings?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

CompTips are available as a replacement part. There is no retrofit program available.

The CompTip comes with installation rivets and halyard. This mast tip has different halyard sheaves that use rope rather than wire (non conductive).

20611100 COMPTIP H16 $612.00 vs all new mast $1,743 (USD - USA 12/2013)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:38 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

ASDASC wrote:
Is the comp tip still available to retrofit to older masts? I may have to look for one. My neighbers mast just had a tree fall across it and crushed the top 3-4'. I figured they would need to find a whole replacement mast. This might be a solution. I assume that I can just re-use the old halyard and fittings?

Steve, depending on how old the boat is, you may need a new tang, too. You really want to have the three-hole tang to secure the Comptip properly.

(Really old boats - from inception to ~1977 - had one-hole tangs, like the 14.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I still have not measured to confirm but I will get to it soon. Also Steve. We just retrofitted our mast with a new comp tip. We bought it from a lady that closed a hobie store and she has a few of them. We bought it for only $200. She did have a few of them when we bought ours. I will find her email and pass it over to you if you are interested. She is trying to clean out there storage.

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Elkyjason wrote:
I still have not measured to confirm but I will get to it soon. Also Steve. We just retrofitted our mast with a new comp tip. We bought it from a lady that closed a hobie store and she has a few of them. We bought it for only $200. She did have a few of them when we bought ours. I will find her email and pass it over to you if you are interested. She is trying to clean out there storage.

See if you can find out what she has, maybe broker a deal with her to sell her stock, she could pay you a percentage to handle it!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, yes I would be very interested at that price. I assume that you cut down the all aluminum mast and then rivit on the comp tip?