Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello Gang,

I have the potential to pickup a Hobie 14 Turbo. I currently own a Hobie 16.
Would you go for it or would the H14 be of no interest to you?
I sail on lakes and am fairly newish to sailing the H16, have not solo'd it though at this time.
Will be intending to solo more than not but I am slim chap and man handling when launching and retrieving I suspect will be quiet a chore when alone. Hence the reason for considering the H14.

Any thought's and gotcha's etc much appreciated.

P.s looking for a quick reply on this one folks as I need to let the fella know today whether or not I want it!

Thanks,
SRG

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How much do you weigh? I know the 14 is a very weight-sensitive boat.

As a 6'5", 230 lb Hobie 16 owner, I wouldn't consider a 14. It would be more like a hobie submarine from what I understand. I typically sail my 16 solo. I just think it handles better and is easier to control with my weight. With another adult on board we are a little on the heavy side. Plus, I can only yell at myself when something goes wrong.

I've always been able to trailer, rig, sail, right, and re-trailer the boat by myself. It takes a little longer and you have to have a plan in place for stepping the mast, but it can be done.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Abbman,

Well I am close to six foot tall and weigh around 11 stone wet, which I make to be about 154 lb, last I looked, so pretty much impossible to right the h16 solo without a righting pole.
I find stepping the mast no problem on the H16 as you say there is a knack to it but pulling the boat off and lifting and pushing it back on the trailer can be a PITA single handed. By the time I get the boat in the water I am ready for the hospital, or bed ;-) Let alone getting it out again! LOL

Oh did I mention I am totally not fit!
I sometime choose to just look at the Hobie!
And on the positive side, I can eat when and what I like!

SRG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have no problem raising the mast, rigging, launching and retrieving my H-16 solo. I am 6'0", 184 lbs. and 80 years old. I know I can't right it if I go over so am careful to avoid high winds without a crew.

As to the H-14, I haven't sailed one but I understand the the turbo can be pretty fast. If the price is right, you can always sell it if you aren't happy with it, without losing money. Look the boat over carefully before buying. To answer your question, I personally wouldn't bother with a 14 as long as I have the 16.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We bought a 14-T several years back, so I have access to both. I'm 5' 7ish" and weigh about 185 lbs. Normally I'm on the 16, but on windier days without crew, the 14 is a blast. It is indeed very sensitive to weight/placement, but I'm impressed that you can actually fly a hull, beam reach (weight WAY back), etc. I can right the 14 solo without an aid, too, so no worries there.

One thing Ive noticed....The 14 seems to be more likely to turtle when capsized. We sail on a shallow, muddy lake where, when turtled, the mast will stick in the mud and require power help. It is very important to have an empty, well-sealed mast. I went ahead and put a Bob on it, too, so I don't have to worry so much about my daughter when she's on the 14 and I'm on the 16.

If you have the cash and time to own/maintain/store two boats, I say go for it and take the 14 when its blowin' stink!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you everyone for your replies.

@ hrtsailor, I take my hat off to you sir, keep on doing what you are doing :-)

Well I took the plunge, it was an ebay blind purchase, bought the H16 in the same way.
Its not the best I have seen, well only ever seen two for sale in the last three years, the H14 seems to be rather rare here in the UK and the Turbo even more so. This actually appeals to me. I have a number of Hobie items starting back when I was given a Hobie Skateboard “sidewalk surfer” back in the 70's and now I have a H14 to add to my collection! :-)
So, the Hulls appear to have had some work done on them, I just noticed ports have been added which would indicate transom restoration, but according to the seller the hulls have been totally refurbished a couple seasons ago. Dont think this is to much of problem, the H16 required a bottom job due to it taking in water and I enjoyed applying what I learned from this site and other when fixing the H16 up. For me it's all part of the enjoyment of ownership.

So, Final bid: £663 with trailer, not too bad and one thing is for sure people were bidding to push it there, so there should not be any issue in selling it some point in the future, if I so wish to.

Here's a pick:

And ebay listing with more pics and details:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOBIE-14-TURBO-Hobie-Cat-Catermaran-not-16-sailing-dingy-/251504940100?autorefresh=true&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=RXFl57atFqU%252Fs3aWPCZ00Yz%252BeN0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Something just occurred to me after writing, hope the disappointed bidders don't find me here! ;-)
SRG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

congratulations! IT looks like a great buy.

I have an H16, but would also love to have a nice H14T. I sail alone often, and it would be fun to not have to be concerned with righting it. I am 6'2" and about 180 lbs.

Enjoy and let us know how you think they compare!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Steve...whip up a righting pole for your 16. No more worries over righting it.
I made mine out of an old 2 piece windsurf mast, a carved down chunk of 2x4 and some rope. EZ PZ.
I can almost always get mine righted if the wind helps...but have been stuck on my side a couple times and had to have help. No more of that...self sufficient now.

Oya and nice 14T! You can never have too many Hobies!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Hobiesrock, I know, I know. I just haven't done it yet. It is amazing how close I can come to righting it myself, but can't seem to. I have been thinking about an 8' 1x4 with a v cut into 1 end, just to try it out. It seems like that should make all the difference in the world. I will play with it this summer and get good at it.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Although, that would take away my need to buy an H14T... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought a 14T to solo but, at 195 lbs., it wasn't enough boat for me. It was slow and the leeward hull was nearly underwater. I recently sold it. If I had it to do over I think I would have just gotten a solo righting kit (shroud extender) for my 16.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've found if it's windy enough to capsize you, it's windy enough to help you solo right. Just climb on the bows until the stern weather vanes around with the wind then pushing on the top of your tramp. As you lean back and pull, the wind pushing the trampoline the same direction you're pulling it, it will pop up after a few mins with little trouble. Just make sure beforehand that everything is un cleated before you start.
Tim
I'm about 200# so that May have helped. :mrgreen:

Stick with the 16!

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I own both! I bought the 14 so I could get out on days where the 16 is too much for me to handle solo. I'm about 160 lbs which I'd guess is pretty much the top end for a 14. It's definitely not the boat for the light wind days and/or with a crew, but they both have their place.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm another one of those guys that has both a H14T and a H16, and I'm glad I have both. The 14 is great on days when it's blown' and you can't find a crew. I'm 195 lbs and a bit heavy for the 14, but I added the jib over the winter and the increase in performance is very noticeable. It tacks much faster too. Without the jib, my 14, even with my heavy carcass, was faster than the Lasers at my club. Now I'll really smokem'. A 14 with someone approaching 200 lbs isn't as bad or slow as some of the folks here have made it out to be. I really enjoy sailing it.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

interesting discussion. I had an H14T that was in excellent shape and dry as a bone - it did fly but in any chop could pitchpole fast. on one hull, it did tend to flounder a bit. The reason? I am 6' & 220 lbs. so - with 2 people - forget it.

I just bought an 82 H16. in very good shape also. I am confident it will fly with 2 and, with a reef sail, is manageable solo in a stiff breeze. will have to go with the righting pole... RIP Hobie.

Southern NJ

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would prefer a hobie 16 over the Hobie 14 anytime! I think this is because I have sailed the hobie 16 in many local and national championships... and we don't have Hobie 14 competitions very often in my place!