Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello guys I am just about to get my first Hobiecat 16, and I really have a doubt.

is it really worth it to get a brand new model paying around 8.000 euros for it? or it is better to go for second hand around 4.000 euros ??

what do you recomend? what do I really have to take care in a second hand model?

thanks for your comments

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just like buying a car. If I had the jack, I'd new, but if I saw a barely used, well taken care of boat, then my answer is easy. New boats are really nice, clean, tight, and your dealer support will be great, I'm sure.
Time and convenience is money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's my 2 cents.
I was going to buy new earlier this spring but changed my mind @ the last minute. just before I was gonna buy I found a used 1982 in really good shape for about 1/10th the price of new so I decided to buy it. I'm glad I did over buying new and here's why. Buying used forced me to do a little research on boats (what to look for, good/ bad stuff, history of em, repair procedures, etc..) and has made me a more well rounded owner. Yes, if you are going to be racing the boat right away, a new one is probably a better choice but if recreational sailing and even trying to get into racing is where you are headed I'd suggest buying used. Btw, I really love my boat and am really happy with my purchase.
Later
Cory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go with used, you can find lots of used boats on craigslist and ebay for under 1000 dollars. Most of them will be water ready. And just like the guy above said researching the boats will make you a better owner. Also having a boat with a few years under it will make it easier that first time you get a scratch on it. Just watch for soft hull and other little things like that, if you can take someone that knows Hobies with you to look at any used ones. Have fun no matter which choice you make!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very good points listed above! I never would have considered the investment in a new hobie.. but buying a used one was something I did in a heartbeat! I learned a ton about the boat by going through it and replacing things that needed it...

Now that I have one though... I would possibly consider buying a new one if I were to upgrade to a bigger boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For your first Hobie,

I would buy used, see how you like racing. If you really enjoy it then you can allways sell the boat in a couple of season and get a new boat.

If you plan on just day sailing, or find out racing really isn't for you and your happy with the used boat that you bought, then your out nothing.

I learned to sail on the families 1975 16, and bought a brand new 16 2 years ago, and LOVE the boat, but there is a price to pay for wanting everything shiney and new :P

Brent