Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi everyone,

New sailor here - we just bought a 1989 Hobie 16 and are so excited to be a part of this community. We're in the Atlanta area and our plan is to try and get hooked up with some folks who sail at Lake Lanier and pay for some lessons (whatever amounts/payment form they deem appropriate and fair).

Our boat appears to be in great shape - no real corrosion, hulls are rigid, solid, free of blisters and cracks. Sails look nice. The tramp is still tight and the boat generally looks pretty darn good for something that's a 25 year old hull.

We are missing the main sheet and blocks as well as hiking straps and/or trapeze gear. For the former, we're pretty clueless about what we need. Will any of the blocks out there work with our boat or are there specific ones we should look for? I've seen plenty of pages like this:

http://shop.mariner-sails.com/Hobie-16- ... s_c409.htm

So I'm wondering if we need all of those things or just some of them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Harken low profile blocks are the ticket. Either the 2.25 hexaratchets or carbo blocks. Make sure you get an aluminum cam cleat. The plastic cams will wear out and not hold the sheet properly.

I wouldn't worry about the trapeeze gear right away. You will have plenty to learn before throwing trapeezing into the mix. The hiking straps on the other hand, I would definitely recommend you replace those. When the wind comes up and you fly a hull, you will definitely want something to tuck your feet under so you don't slide down the tramp. The hiking straps also allow you to swing your butt over the side so you can hike without the trapeeze. Once you get comfortable hiking out, move up to the trap.

I recommend you order a Hobie catalog (order on this site). It is invaluable for replacing and upgrading parts or just finding out what parts you're missing.

Enjoy the boat, you'll have a blast!

sm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

From the Hobie Catalog:

HARKEN 2 1/4” BLOCK LOW PROFILE 6:1
Successful racers have gone to super low profile systems on Hobie 16’s (6:1) and 18’s (7:1).
This allows the sailors to achieve more mast rake for better pointing ability and reduced pitch
pole tendency. They are using the Harken 2 1/4" ratchet block and boom blocks with 3/8"
line. The lower block is customized to allow the post to enter the traveler car hinge plate on
the Hobie 16. To convert to 7:1, H18 sailors add a mini-block to the eye that’s normally used
to tie off to and then tie the line off on an empty boom bail.
New Hobie 16s come with H194 Lower ratchet and H2640 Carbo upper.

*use 3/8" sheet rope for smooth flow of line through blocks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe Harken discontinued the 194. You'll need the 2629 57mm, triple ratchmatic now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pm me your address. I have a spare catalog. I'm in Alabama. You would have it by Wed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Try to join up with other hobie sailors in your area, get someone experienced to go out on your boat with you to get ya informed and show you pointers.
The H16 is really a great catamaran to start on as its easy to rig and pretty light weight to move it around. You will need lots of time on boat to get used to how it turns ( tacks ) how to sail backwards then go forward and getting comfortable launching and returning to the shore. Go to some regattas! There's a bunch all over the south east. My fav's are all in Ocean Springs MS and Juanna's Good time regatta in Navarre Beach FL.
http://www.thebeachcats.com lists all kinds of regattas and highly promotes catamarans.. mainly HOBIE! we love them!

I have the NEW style fully adjustable upper and lower castings setup with the H20 tiller quick connects ( same as on the new 16's ) as well as a pair EPO rudders for sale for a Hobie 16 should yours give you any trouble. I sold my H16 stock but the upgrade was killer on my 80's 16 i sold. effortless steering..........

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the trapeeze gear right away. You will have plenty to learn before throwing trapeezing into the mix. The hiking straps on the other hand, I would definitely recommend you replace those. When the wind comes up and you fly a hull, you will definitely want something to tuck your feet under so you don't slide down the tramp. The hiking straps also allow you to swing your butt over the side so you can hike without the trapeeze. Once you get comfortable hiking out, move up to the trap.

sm

Good advice - thanks. Nice to remember that learning to get the most out of your boat is a process.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fxloop wrote:
Try to join up with other hobie sailors in your area, get someone experienced to go out on your boat with you to get ya informed and show you pointers.
The H16 is really a great catamaran to start on as its easy to rig and pretty light weight to move it around. You will need lots of time on boat to get used to how it turns ( tacks ) how to sail backwards then go forward and getting comfortable launching and returning to the shore. Go to some regattas! There's a bunch all over the south east. My fav's are all in Ocean Springs MS and Juanna's Good time regatta in Navarre Beach FL.
http://www.thebeachcats.com lists all kinds of regattas and highly promotes catamarans.. mainly HOBIE! we love them!

Great advice and thank you. It's a little daunting but such a fun pursuit to be learning.

If Atlanta area sailors see this we'd love to join up some time - feel free to PM.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in - much appreciated.