Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fishing on a Hobie 16
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sailing on the edge is my usual plan when out on my H16. Once in a while I like to change it up a little. Thursday I took a friend out to catch my limit of Spanish Mackeral. We also caught too many chopper blues to count. I trolled with two hand lines on a planer and two rods pulling Clark spoons. We were fishing in front of Fort Macon State Park in Atlantic Beach NC.

Last edited by On1Hull on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok, first off, that's awesome. Would love to give that a try. :lol:

So i get the fishing part, but what the heck did you do with the fish once you catch them? Spanish have nasty teeth and like to flop and bleed all over the place once they are in the boat. Blues are only a little better. I usually can't wait to get them in the fish box on a powerboat, I can't imagine a pile of those guys flopping around on a hobie tramp.

And, I guess with 4 lines out you don't do much tacking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Couldn't you store the fish in a cooler? I've seen some custom racks made which hold them off the side of the boat. Seems like a really cool idea though. How are the poles stored?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, I am a neanderthal on a computer. I've uploaded a picture through photobucket so hopefully ya'll can see it. Man, I need a gopro. Once I land the Spanish, I put them inside a trash bag and into a softsided cooler (blue bag in background). First one I caught, I was trying to pull the trash bag out with one hand and hold the fish with other. A well timed wiggle and he slipped right over the front crossbar for an unexpected release. I basically troll in a figure 8 pattern and Gybe. As the bait falls in the turn is where I get most of my strikes from. It gets real fun when all four lines get hits, talk about a chinese fire drill.Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are the rods mounted??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great Pic and nice haul. Did you launch from 12th street and sail out of the inlet? I've been thinking about doing that sometime this summer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I launch from 11th St. Morehead City, there is a public launch area where several beach cats nestle in a sandy strip. Catch the right wind, and its a quick shot through the turning basin. Tide rips through this area, so it's wise to keep in mind on light air days. Once you're past Radio Island there is some great sailing areas. It's always a treet when we are able to make it to the lighthouse and back. 13 miles as the crow flies and my boat won't go that direction.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On1Hull wrote:
I launch from 11th St. Morehead City, there is a public launch area where several beach cats nestle in a sandy strip. Catch the right wind, and its a quick shot through the turning basin. Tide rips through this area, so it's wise to keep in mind on light air days. Once you're past Radio Island there is some great sailing areas. It's always a treet when we are able to make it to the lighthouse and back. 13 miles as the crow flies and my boat won't go that direction.

Yes, 11th street, that's the place I was thinking about. That sounds like a fun trip. I've sailed all over the sound between Morehead and Swansboro but I've never made it past the Atlantic Beach Bridge. I'll have to give that a go sometime.

Is the 11th street launch really crowded in the summer time? I was there in March and suprised at the number of Hobies stored there. Do you need any kind of permit to leave your boat mast-up overnight?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

From last year.

I've trolled with my Hobie 16. Use some PVC pipe tied to the corner casings for rod holders. I rig a 3way swivel with a short leg and a Clark spoon and a long leg with a 2 oz Diamond Jig. The first few times I just used 80lb mono leader. We were off Stump Pass when the rod bent over and took drag for a few yards, then it went slack. When I reeled it in the diamond jig was gone. I have since added a short piece of steel leader. I assume it was a King Mackeral. As this is a very toothy critter, I would have kept it in the water and drug it home.

Try Cabella's for a fish bag.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I do a lot of fishing on my Hobie 16 in Emerald Isle/Atlantic beach. I was wondering if you were interested in doing some distance fishing/sail. I was thinking if we could get a few people together we could have a tournament followed by a cookout.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I caught this fish in October. Quite a bit of fun. Image

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's awesome! I'm new to the Hobie Cat Community and people thought I was nuts when I said I wanna take it to go fishing! Thank you for this it will be helpful in making my point :mrgreen: