Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the hulls upright on saw horses with the delam area level as can be. Hobie1616 said to lay the hull on its side. I don't know of any difference except that if the hull is on its side so is the hole you're trying to pour or drip epoxy into. I believe I ended up going through about two large kits of glue. But I also had a pretty good size delam, about 3 feet long and almost the width of the hull in one spot. I worried about doing it in one large pour because of the heat generated by the epoxy. It was 90 deg to start with and the epoxy gets really hot as it kicks off. I also ran out! I started to think I drilled through the inner hull liner! That can happen so go slow and be carefull. You may want to use a 3/16" drill instead of the 1/4" I used. Way overkill. I also did a kind of boat CPR near the end to see if glue oozed up when I pushed down on the soft spot. It may have also helped push the stuff down in the hull a little bit. It was my second attempt, the first boat was my Catalina 22, at filling rotted deck so I was willing to try anything!!!

Post subject: repair has begun
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello everyone. I began doing the repair last Saturday. I believe that I have done everything correctly. I ended up only repairing the soft spot foward of the starbord pylon for fear that I may run out of Git Rot. As I was doing the repair I started to become a little worried that the stuff was leaking through the bottom layer of glass. It took about eight ounces before the epoxy started to ooze out out the breather holes. All in all, I used about 16 oz. of Git Rot for this one soft spot. It took about 3-4 hours of steadily pumping this stuff in the hull to do the job.

I do have one question. The next day, when I went to check on the project. I noticed that some of the breather holes did not remain fully sealed up nearest the foward pylon. When I taped everything up it was oozing out of everywhere. It seems that overnight the Git rot settled and that there may be a very thin layer that did not get filled.

Will I be able to just add more of the Git Rot over the layer that has already cured? Does this mean that I did the repair incorrectly? A few of the post said this could be done in batches. I assume that gravity would work on this stuff and it would settle/cure relatively flat. I had the portion of the hull that I was working on as level as I could get it. The pylon portion of the deck was a bit higher that the rest of the soft spot due to the curve of the deck. Is there anything else that I should do aside from adding more Git Rot to make sure that the hull is solid and that the second application penetrates as well?

Thanks for all of the advice on this topic. I really can't describe how much I appreciate all of your help. I wouldn't have known what to do if it weren't for all of you. Reading the posts on this forum has answered many a question that I haven't even thought to ask.
James

Post subject: Retracts
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

It is common for the material to contract when cured I think. This is how it worked for me as well. The area is likely solid now and you should not be able to get more material in.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As I said, I did this repair over a few days. I just kept adding git rot. It got to the point that I was doing little batches and putting a couple drops in each hole. Drink a little beer, put two more drops in each hole, ect....I just kept at over the coarse of three days. I think it just keeps oozing into every little crack it can find. Just as advertised! I really think keeping it chilled helped slow down the kicking of the epoxy so it could find every nook and cranny in the hull. I also used twice as much git rot as I though I would. But it works, and turned out great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Awesome. I'm glad to hear you say that it contracts a little. I figured that it probably would but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for your quick replies.
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't know that it "contracts" but I think it settles a little bit. Check out my photos at the post "paint job finially done".