Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got new H-16 Hibiscus sails from the recent European Regatta offering made to US Hobie sailors. These sails have velcro batten closure straps with the mating half of the velcro inside the batten pocket. Do the sails require special battens and can someone help me with the proper tensioning procedure? My old jib sail has break-away battens and the hinge section is too large to fit in the new sail's batten pockets so I need to get new jib battens at least. Has anyone had experience with the Super Flex fiberglass battens? I understand they are not class legal, but I don't do any clas racing, so no issue there.

Thanks for the help!

Vela Veloce (Sail Fast)

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There is some info on this in the euro sail forum that is posted here. It's just some where in all the 8 pages of that forum. We had the same problem with having the batten hinge not fitting. Plus we did t want to rip our new sail where the hing bends. So What we did was move our battens up one and buy a new one for the bottom on eBay. We then cut all the rest to fit in there new pocket. Thus removing the hing. Good luck...

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I put super battens in mine for now. Trimmed to be just shy of sticking out. Have not sailed it yet...but they seem like they will be awesome.
As far as tensioning goes...you just use the little tool and run the velcro in and snug em up a bit leaving the string hang out.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Elkyjason wrote:
There is some info on this in the euro sail forum that is posted here. It's just some where in all the 8 pages of that forum. We had the same problem with having the batten hinge not fitting. Plus we did t want to rip our new sail where the hing bends. So What we did was move our battens up one and buy a new one for the bottom on eBay. We then cut all the rest to fit in there new pocket. Thus removing the hing. Good luck...

Thanks! That was smart thinking to move the battens up one and then buy only one new batten for the bottom. I'll take a look at the Euro Sail Forum as well. Regards!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hobiesrock wrote:
I put super battens in mine for now. Trimmed to be just shy of sticking out. Have not sailed it yet...but they seem like they will be awesome.
As far as tensioning goes...you just use the little tool and run the velcro in and snug em up a bit leaving the string hang out.

Thanks! Did you get a tool with your sail? I didn't, but my wife has a sewing tool which looks perfect for the job. She's even gonna let me use it!
Regards.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ImageYes I did. Its nothing special. Just a flat piece of ?plastic? that lets you slide the Velcro in without it sticking.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hobiesrock wrote:
ImageYes I did. Its nothing special. Just a flat piece of ?plastic? that lets you slide the Velcro in without it sticking.

Thanks! I got new battens and made the tool. Put everything together today and ready for maiden voyage with new sails and tramp tomorrow. Hoping for decent wind!