Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1977 barn find?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have acquired a near perfect 1977 twin banana 16 ft I was told it only hit the water 3-6 times in its life. Sails and gear has been out of weather and sunlight for the life of the boat. i have no clue how to set it up or where to start with replacing lines and hard ware. Any tips or insight to where to start would be great thank you in advance!

Post subject: Re: 1977 barn find?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations! First of all I would check to see if there is a Hobie Dealership near-by or a Hobie Fleet. It's best to have someone experienced to check it out with you and show you how to set it up and sail it. If that doesn't work then post some pictures and let us all know where you live and plan on sailing. Also, since you sound as though you're inexperienced, you should share with us your age, weight and some information on who you plan on sailing with. As far as replacing lines and hardware.....if it hasn't been used very much and hasn't been exposed to the sun then you may not have to replace very much, if anything.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a good place to start: http://www.hobiecat.com/support/hobie-16/

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am 400+ miles from the closest dealer! I can see one shackles that has rusted and the main haul line is dry rotted. One trap wire is frayed and needs replaced. As for sailing experience I have none other that watching the LV cup and Americas cup live in NZ. Thanks in advance for any advice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would change all the rigging and the sheet lines, no use hoping the old stuff will stand up. Best thing you can do is download the assembly manual off this web site. There must be someone you know in the area that would give you the basics of sailing, even if it was a monohull sailor. If not you can find lots of information on line about how to sail, pick a nice quiet day and experiment. Have fun.....funny thats how I found my last 16 was sitting under a fir tree in a farmers yard. He had only sailing it once, flipped it over and scared himself half to death, never sailed it again. Picked up for a song...but is was completely back from sitting under the fir tree for that long.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I got the entire thing set up and all that needs replaced is the main halyard line and one Batton end!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... e6805a06a0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very Nice!! So when are you going to get it wet?!

PS It's freaking SNOWING outside here again!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking to take it out as soon as I get a trailer. I have a line on one so hope fully I can get it wet in the next two to three weeks.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tomorrow will be the first time to hit the water with her. Weather window looks good and we rented wet suits to take the edge off if we get dumped. Wish us luck.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kiddro2003 - It appears as though you're from Wyoming, so I have to assume that the water is still cold where you'll be sailing. I'm glad that you & your crew will be wearing wet suits, but there are still 3 important things that you should read up on and visualize: (1) You should have a righting line; (2) learn how to sail conservatively until you and your crew gain more experience; and (3) learn how to right your boat quickly [just in case....]. These 3 things are covered extensively in these Hobie Cat Forums. Once the weather and water warm up in a few more months, and you gain more experience, you can take more risks. We want you & your crew to have a great time and come back safely. Let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had to call it off at the last miniute. Got to the lake rigging set and the wind picked up from 10-15 to 20-30. Too much for a first outing. Maybe the weather will cooperate next time. Thanks for all the tips and advice it has helped.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm glad to see that you used good common sense. Just be patient. You'll have conditions that you can safely handle.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, there is no substitute for common sense when sailing. Good call not going out. My first time out I was by myself and had never driven a sailboat before. I read all I could online here (there is a great download called Hobie University as I recall). The first day out was only 5mph wind, yet I could lift a hull a little it seemed like. I just sailed out, and then back, then picked another spot across the bay to sail to and back. I did that for 2 hours and had a blast. I figured that anyone can sail, but the skill is sailing back to where you came from, so that is what I practiced. You will pick it up very fast if you read and understand how and why it works.

On a Hobie 16 you don't need much wind to move, so start slowly. When things are blowing a bit, things happen VERY fast, especially if there is any traffic on the lake, or it is a smaller lake.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello All
Sorry to butt in, if someone could also steer me in the right direction please. I am in Queensland Australia have just picked up what seemed to be a bargain, if only I had joined and read more of the forums first. The ID number on the rear hull post is 407, the boat is too far gone to save except for some spares I will get off before taking the hulls to the tip. Lots of soft spots but sails, mast, tramp and tiller/rudders pretty good, will keep for spares. A poor man buys things TWICE. Can anyone give me an approximate age please?
cheers from Australia