Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had a scary situation on Sunday. While high wind and heavy weather sailing on Sunday. I some how got the hook on the Harness caught on the shroud, and could not get it off. Very dangerous situation as you can imagine. I am now looking at the new Hobie Full "Auto" Harness, which is supposed have a quick release feature. Anybody have a any thoughts on this harness? Any idea how it works would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From what I've read, the full auto harness has a proprietary spreader, so you should only buy it if you intend to keep that spreader. And according to my 2012 catalog, the quick-release is for getting out of the harness, not releasing the harness hook. Read for yourself, though.

Out of similar concern, I converted to the key-ball Bethwaite system on my boat, using a Hobie Skipper's harness and a Hobie Convertible harness. The spreaders don't work as well with those harnesses, but overall I'm happy with the conversion.

I vaguely recall reading online about someone converting a full auto harness to Bethwaite.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anton is correct. The Hobie full auto harness quick release feature is for getting in and out of the harness, not for quickly getting rid of the hook in an emergency ( I have one). If you don't like the Bethwaite ball and keyhole system, RWO makes a spreader bar that has a hook that can be released in situations like you describe. It can replace the spreader bar on many harnesses, or you can find harnesses that come with the system. APS has them in stock.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys. That was very helpful. Do you know how the RWO functions under ordinary operation? It looks like it has a plastic piece under the hook, and I am not sure how that operates. Does it swivel from side to side? If so that seems like a hassle for hooking up, and unhooking under normal trapping. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The things that turned me off from the 'safety hook' systems were:

1) On many of them you lose the hook when released
2) You still have a hook

In July I was sailing and we flipped the boat three times in a short time. I was reminded how glad I was that we didn't have big steel hooks sticking out of our bellies every time we climbed back onto the hull. The plastic or carbon spreaders of the Bethwaite system are nondestructive.

The downside is that you lose compatibility with other boats.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Johnny F wrote:
Thanks guys. Do you know how the RWO functions under ordinary operation?

Yes, I do. I bought three of these (one each for the wife and two kids). The "plastic piece" is more rubber than plastic. It is very bendable/pliable. Your trap handle slides right past it as you hook up. You really don't even know it is there. It is designed as a keeper for your trap handle so it doesn't fall off the hook as you go out and to keep the hook attached to the trap handle if you do activate the release mechanism. It is removable so you don't have to use it if you don't like it.

Anton is correct that you risk losing the hook if you activate the safety release. The keeper will help keep this from happening, but no guarantees ($42 is cheap compared to drowning). One other possible down side is an accidental activation of the release mechanism. A friend of ours bought one of these for his daughter. Her life jacket was too long to be compatible with the harness. She accidentally activated it twice in one day (at a North American Championship : ( )while out on the wire and ended up overboard both times. My wife and two kids used them for many years and never had that happen. You also need to rinse the mechanism if you sail in salt water (it uses stainless steel ball bearings to hold the hook in place).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks everyone for the very helpful feedback. I settled on the Magic Marine quick release spreader and harness. I am very pleased with my decision. I bought a couple of extra hooks for 10$ each in case I lose one. Very comfortable harness. Neat and clear of excess straps. Also has some nice padding for those occasions where you take a trip around the forestay. Anyway thanks again everyone.