Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know there is no beach launching in San Diego county since the state went nuts in the 90's but I have not been able to find the rule for how close to the shore can you sail. I see the guys that ride jet ski's get busted by the harbor patrol for getting into the surf between the Oceanside jetties where we used to surf our hobies safely and without hurting anyone so I assume surfing is out except a secret spots but is there a distance rule from the sand? I ask this as the surf is almost flat and you can get really close without surfing in lots of places. Thought I might give my kids a ride on if they swim out off the beach.
There has to be a law against having such fun. Just wanted to see if anyone could tell me what it is.
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can launch off the beach at La Jolla Shores. You also can sail in the surf at Tourmaline. Best on NW wind days just north of the parking area. Look out for Kites, long boards, SUPs, and sailboards.

I would not ask anyone to meet/greet the boat anywhere near the surf because if the boat catches a wave, it will move very fast and the swimmer will be injured.