Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

We live in Costa Rica, and we are trying to start the first adult's sailing school in the country ever! We have a chance to get a decent older hobie 16 to use to teach lessons, and we need help to do it.

We've got a campaign running to help raise the money & supplies, but I thought I'd ask here for any ideas, suggestions, & advice since I've never done this before.

If any of you can help us in some way, the support would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can give!

This is the cat that we have an option to buy. There are only three in the whole country, and this is the only one in operational condition so we have to jump at the chance:

Last edited by captain.k on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone got a suggestion on whether a kickstarter is better than a fundme, or if a kiva is better than a kickstarter?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm sorry you aren't getting any suggestions, but I don't have experience with sailing schools so I can't really help. My one thought is that a 16 might not be the best training boat. They are performance boats with limitations on buoyancy and ease of use. The price is probably right, though. Are there any other options? Many monohulls are much easier to rig and sail, although they are generally less exciting to sail. Who is your target audience?

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree, a Hobie is not a good boat to teach beginners with. A docile monohull is a much better choice.

Now if you are trying to figure out a way to get a free Hobie, I understand! :wink:

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your suggestions and ideas.
Looks like we are going to launch after all. Very exciting! Eta to launch: 2 weeks.

The idea for using the Hobie as a training platform is this: have the instructor in the boat teaching by demonstrating, rather than for example teaching with sunfish or lasers where the instructor is in a chase boat and the students are alone to fend for themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

captain.k wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions and ideas.
Looks like we are going to launch after all. Very exciting! Eta to launch: 2 weeks.

The idea for using the Hobie as a training platform is this: have the instructor in the boat teaching by demonstrating, rather than for example teaching with sunfish or lasers where the instructor is in a chase boat and the students are alone to fend for themselves.

Have you sailed a Hobie 16?

-2013 H16 #1`13780
-2014 Getaway w/wings,spinnaker,& trapeze

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We've finally launched. Now available: lessons & rides on a Hobie 16 in Costa Rica!

http://costa-rica-sailing.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

How far are you from the airport?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It's about 1 hour from SJO to Jaco. Less if there is no traffic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have run run a small sailing school at the small like I spend my summer weekends at. I teach all the things we all do, cover all the parts of the boat, a little touch on theory (they need to understand Bernoulli's theory), rigging, knots, boat setup. Pick a day with very little wind get them to understand sail trim vurses angle you are sailing off the wind, apparent and ambient wind. They just kind of need to understand basic things like the more off the wind the farther out the sails. It won't take long especially if they are motivated. Find a calm day and have everyone practise knock downs and recovery. As the wind comes up they will get better, I always found that the premise that there is a proper sail set for every direction we sail, and quite often have them set the sail (say 1/3 of the way out) then have them come up slightly into the wind and then fall off slightly. They will find that "sweet spot" right away. Its not rocket science and if they choose to race they can always hone their skills. Let them have fun and the rest will take care of itself.

You may need to buy a few used 16's to fill the sudden demand...or you could become Costa Rica's newest Hobie dealer....