Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

...so the boat i recently bought was sort of...well...improvisationally rigged in certain areas. the boom vang (i think? it's the two triple blocks, one attached to the traveller and one to the boom, that the main sheet is run through) only has a double block attached to the traveller, and two single blocks, with only one attached, connected to the boom. in order to make a proper one, do i really need two triple blocks, or can i get away with two double blocks? i realize it's just a matter of more pulleys providing more mechanical advantage, but has anyone ever tried it?

i ask because the only triple blocks i saw at the marine store were (harken) 100 dollars apiece. since there's already a double on the bottom, if i could get away with two doubles, i'd only have to spend 40 dollars on one double block instead of 200 dollars on two triples.

by the way, thanks for all the help and replies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To start, welcome to boat restoration. It's lots of fun, but can get expensive. I'm in the process of upgrading my second Hobiecat.

If you are going to sail recreationally and not race you can put the 4:1 system in place. Actually, I might have an extra single block from an old Hobie system laying around I can sell you if you don't find one in the store you like.

Keep in mind, that in higher winds you are going to have to work much harder at sheeting in the main.

Also, you are not speaking of the boom vang (that has an entirely different function). You are referring to the main sheet and the main traveler. On Hobiecats they are the same line. Most Hobiecats do not have a boom vang.

If you have any more questions, please ask us!

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

okay. so if i have a double block attached to the traveller (please correct me if my terminology is wrong), can i use the two single blocks on the boom? the boom has two places, about 5 or 6 inches apart, to attach a block. so does it matter if the two pulleys attached to the boom are on the same shaft (a double block attached to one of the things on the boom), or can they just be seperate (two single pulleys, one attached to each of those things on the boom)?

another question: when stepping the mast, i had to have another person pull down really hard to attach the forestay. should it be that tight? maybe the two shrouds on the side are too tight?

another question: the guy who sold me the boat was not a sailor. probably even less than myself. he didn't have any blocks between the jib and the jib sheet. he just ran the sheet through the holes in the brass piece on the sail. what size blocks to i need to purchase for that particular spot, and is it one double block, or two single blocks.

last one for now: what are those u-shaped metal pieces called that we use to hold down most everthing on the boat?

i really appreciate everyone's time and trouble. thanks again for your help.

edit: also wondering if anyone has any blocks for sale, either a double block for the boom (in case i can't use two single blocks), or whatever kind of block(s) i need for the jib sheet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cyrano138 wrote:
okay. so if i have a double block attached to the traveller (please correct me if my terminology is wrong), can i use the two single blocks on the boom? the boom has two places, about 5 or 6 inches apart, to attach a block. so does it matter if the two pulleys attached to the boom are on the same shaft (a double block attached to one of the things on the boom), or can they just be seperate (two single pulleys, one attached to each of those things on the boom)?
Those things on the boom are called bales. You can use two separate blocks. After you get upgradeitis you’ll want to move up to a good low profile Harken system.

Quote:
another question: when stepping the mast, i had to have another person pull down really hard to attach the forestay. should it be that tight? maybe the two shrouds on the side are too tight?
You probably have the shrouds in the bottom hole of the chain plates. This is a good thing as it rakes the mast back for better upwind performance. The easy fix for a too tight forestay is to add a extra chain plate to the existing one on the bridle.

Quote:
another question: the guy who sold me the boat was not a sailor. probably even less than myself. he didn't have any blocks between the jib and the jib sheet. he just ran the sheet through the holes in the brass piece on the sail. what size blocks to i need to purchase for that particular spot, and is it one double block, or two single blocks.
Danger Will Robinson!! That sucks. Buy two Harken Bullet blocks part# 125 and use a small shackle to attach them to the clew (that thing on the jib with the five holes in it). You may want to replace the jib sheet as it’s probably pretty worn from going through the clew holes.

Quote:
last one for now: what are those u-shaped metal pieces called that we use to hold down most everthing on the boat?
A bungee?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:

do they look like this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

you guys are amazing. thanks for all the information. i'm going to look around for some of those blocks, but when i went in the westmarine store today, i think i remember seeing a single block that cost like 40 bucks. it's possible though, that those were bigger than the 125's. thanks again. now i just need to figure out how to rig up the main sheet; i've seen a few pictures of boats with the same setup, though they were much smaller. oh, and yes, mr. eaton, they did look just exactly like that. thanks.

Post subject: Just a tip
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There are several websites that you can use to find used parts. I spent a good part of this past summer fixing up an old 1977 h-16. I found most of the parts I needed in the classified section at the Hobie website. A couple other sources I used were: www.thebeachcats.com. Another source is www.murrays.com. Call them for a free catalog. You can always find someone parting out an old boat, or just upgrading. I've been very pleased with everything I bought. I would try this first, before I go to WestMarine. I found that westmarine is very proud of what they sell. :twisted: