Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Solo mast raising
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just looking for some experienced views about the best methods to single handedly raising the mast on my H16. The temperatures here are in the mid to lower 40's and it's getting hard to convince my crew to come out and play. I'm not quite done yet so would like some advice on the best way to rig up to do this solo. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Get someone to help you get the mast up on the trailer. Extend the plane of the forestay to the trailer and mount a block a couple of inches above the plane. Make up a line that will attach to the forestay when the mast is down that will reach the block and go back to the front crossbar with a couple feet of slack.

To step the mast solo tie the above line to the forestay, under the bridle, through the trailer block and back to the boat. Put the stepping pin in the mast and raise same. Tie off the forestay lineon the jib halyard cleat and attach the forestay to the bridle. Remove the stepping pin and you're done.

Post subject: solo mast raising
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just got a reply on another forum that is a great way to do this. The suggestion was to take an 8 foot line and extend the jib halyard to the bridle. Then stand on the tramp and raise the mast as usual. When it's up, lean into it and reach down and tighten the jib halyard and cleat it off. This will hold up the mast while you get down and go forward and pin the forestay. Just a slight variation from other methods, but definitely the one I will be practicing. Thanks all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MDGANN,

I do what was suggested in your last post [/quote]take an 8 foot line and extend the jib halyard to the bridle. Then stand on the tramp and raise the mast as usual. When it's up, lean into it and reach down and tighten the jib halyard and cleat it off. This will hold up the mast while you get down and go forward and pin the forestay.
Quote:
all the time. I also use a furniture clamp to apply as much tension to the forestay (pulling it to the bridle) as I need. Got the idea from other sailors at the beach (Bob, Steve, Bill) with smaller boats. It's the best thing that has happened to me since sailing.

Happy Sailing,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry about the last post. Got my quoting process mixed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is just a test.

Quote:
I do what was suggested in your last post
take an 8 foot line and extend the jib halyard to the bridle. [/quote]

Hope this works.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The mast will stay standing on it's own if you get it leaning forward from the vertical. It also makes it easier to shoulder into to place because gravity takes over. The steeper you get the boat leaning the easier the process.

This method doesn't require any lines or hardware. Just make sure that your side-stays are in the top hole of the adjuster and get the boat positioned with the bow down, just enough to lean the mast forward.

There are many ways to get the bow down:
1) If your approach to the launch ramp is downhill, (and there are no overhead obstructions) park facing downhill, set up your mast, turn the boat around and launch
2) Launch with the mast down, laying on the boat (use a couple life jackets to cushion the mast on the cross bars) Then pull the stern up on shore, set up the mast - VERY easy method if you have a beach to work with.
3) This is the easiest - Unhook the trailer hitch and set the tongue on the ground, set up the mast, rehook the trailer and launch - Disclaimer - BLOCK THE TRAILER TIRES IF YOU DO THIS and leave the safety chains attached to the car - NOT that I would have any first hand knowledge of what might happen. Let's just say, I imagine a lot of other people will find it very funny if you roll into the drink, standing on your trailer, trying to hold a mast in place. :roll:

Notes on using the line method described earlier in the forum. Rather than carry an extra line:
a) use a jib sheet. This allows you to use the jib block and jaws to lock down the line when the mast is up.
b) attach the main or jib halyard to the shackle on the bridle. Stand up the mast and tie off the halyard. This allows you to use the cleats on the mast.

Happy sails ! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ive used the EZ Stepper, Take a bout 3mins to put on then just winch it up while on the trailer. I clip the mail halyard onto the front shroud and then cut loose the ez stepper and pin the forstay. Works good.

86 H16