Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Around Michigan, we see older clean freshwater complete H16's for $800-1000 all the time. I would probably pass on this one unless it came with other nice things, like was mentioned here already. Trapeze harnesses are really nice to have, unless it is just the Hobie diaper style which would add no real value.

My advice is to just GET A HOBIE! They are a blast, this forum will provide all the info you will ever need on any Hobie topic or issue you will ever encounter, and ALL parts are readily available. No other brand can say that. Get on the water, and enjoy it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fxloop wrote:
I see "RED" flags all over now...... all the layers of various paint and altering the boat physically and cosmeticaly is adding a lot of weight to the boat and suspicion..... why would someone fix something that isn't broken? On a rumor?? No option now..... you have to take a seasoned cat sailor with you to peel back the layers of the onion to inform you of the pro's ands cons..

I don't really know any seasoned cat sailors. Any ideas/leads on how I can find one quick?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:26 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Check your PMs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't like faded paint/gelcoat or crap colours either!

Just because it has a nice paint job doesn't always mean terrible things have happened to the hulls. Cautious yes but give up on it? No way!
The hulls on my 92 hobie 16 were structurally sound all over however the goose used to store the hobie on its side beside his shed and it wore away the gelcoat on the port egde on the outside join of the port deck. I chose to paint the entire boat as the original (white) gel coat was fading anyway. A few weekends of prepping and painting with a few $$ involved rewarded me with a very tidy and fresh hobie.

New standing rigging and reasonable sails are a bonus so do yourself a favour and make hiking straps the very first thing you spend your money on. These awesome cats will surprise you with their speed and I couldn't imaging sailing without them.

There is an amazing amount of great advice on the forum. Most of the previous comments on this topic come from people that I too have taken advise from when stuck for a solution to a problem.

It wouldn't hurt to have someone to take with you to inspect the boat but if you are careful and thourough you'll be able to form a reasonable opinion of the boats condition yourself.

My 3 points of boat buying might sound weird but they've never let me down:

1) Don't fall in love with it on sight or decide your going to buy a boat today!
2) Stay quiet, Let the owner ramble on about it as your slowly go over EVERYTHING. Touch, knock/tap and pause while touching and identifying everything suss. You'll be amazed at how the owner will spurt out the incident or details of the mark, scratch etc. Your silence will uncover any evils (if any).
3) Don't be in a hurry. By taking your time you will notice more of what you'll need to spend on later (eg: main and jibs sheets are buggered or a shroud is frayed). This should be pointed out to the seller and from there you can work out an agreeable price. If you are unsure on what some parts or repairs will cost, take photos and ask the guys on this forum. Do not buy the boat before you do.

Good luck!