Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Trying to decide between the toughness and ease of rigging of the hobie wave, or the speed of the 16. How fast can you guys rig your 16's solo? I like to go for a quick sail after work so fast rigging is important to me, and the ability to rig solo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have rigged my H-16, solo, on the trailer in about 20 minutes, including raising the mast, attaching the forestay, laying the sail on the tramp, attaching the main sheet blocks to the boom and traveler, and rigging the sheet . After launching, it takes another 15 minutes to raise the sail. I always leave the shrouds and trap lines attached, coiled up for trailering, and I leave the rudders on. (no damage to rudders trailered in 30 years). Normally I trailer about 70 miles, one way, to the lake. I remember someone on this forum came to the lake and timed me a few years ago.

From what I hear, the Wave is not as exciting a boat as the H-16. I don't know if a Wave can be righted solo but the righting the 16 solo is difficult and usually requires a water bag to do so. Would you be sailing on a lake or in salt water? How much sailing would you do on weekends rather than just after work? How often would you have a crew? I solo a lot on a lake but wouldn't on the ocean. How much sailing experience do you have?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd sail in the bays and ocean around Clearwater Florida. Fifty percent of the time I'd have a crew. Righting is not an issue. I weigh 260lbs and have righted a 16 many times. I sail them at our sailing club. I guess I'd classify myself as an advanced amateur.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My first thought was 20 minutes, but I suspect my average is about 30. The first few times in a season it seems to take forever, mostly rechecking I got everything right and didn't miss something. As it becomes routine, it gets faster. My routine is very similar to hrtsailor's. I don't have extra sails or jib traveler lines. I only remove the rudders and stays for long distance travel, but if 70 miles doesn't do it, what's 120 more?

Rigging is only half the challenge when trailer sailing. Then comes dropping the boat in the water from the trailer, moving/securing it, parking the car/trailer, final prep, raising the mast, and getting out from the dock to the water. And doing all that in reverse before you lose light, with the potential rush of other boats coming in as well. I do envy the folks with mast up, shore storage. With drive time, I find it hard to get an hour on the water after work.

Having watched the 18s and wildcats rig, the 16 seems quick and easy to rig by comparison.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've gotten it down to a routine that takes about 15 minutes from the time I get to the beach and backed the SUV/trailer to the water's edge until the boat is in the water, fully rigged and ready to sail. If I didn't have to unstrap the rigging on my mast and re-connect the shrouds to their chain plates each time (due to having to store the mast each time separately in my garage), I probably could knock another 2 minutes off the time.

It also only takes about 90 seconds to step the mast while the boat is on the trailer. I have a cleat about 6' up the side of the mast. After connecting the shrouds to their chain plates and connecting the mast base to the step link (using a phillips screw driver), I stretch the trailer's winch strap out so I can lay it's hook on the Hobie's front cross beam with a 6' piece of rope (with a small loop on it's end) connected to the strap's hook. Next, I get up on the tramp and raise the mast. Then with one hand holding the mast up, I use my other hand to reach down and grab the 6' piece of rope (still connected to the strap's hook) and wrap it around the mast just above where my cleat is and then tie it off on the cleat. At this point the winch's strap and 6' piece of rope are tight enough to keep the mast up without me holding it. Now I can let go of the mast and get down off the tramp/trailer. Then, I crank the winch a turn or two to get the slack out of the shrouds, so I can hook the forestay to it's chain plate. Next, I loosen the winch so the forestay is doing it's job and then step up on the trailer, reach up the mast and take the 6' piece of rope off the cleat, remove the phillips screw driver and am done.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Mon May 17, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's about 22 minutes in a video that I took of the process. That is from pulling up in the parking lot where I put the mast up to pushing off from the ramp to go sailing. I use the Aussie halyard and jib to keep the mast up after raising it by hand. I used to use a 10 foot extension line to the halyard and put the sail up after securing the forestay. I save about 2-3 minutes that way. Putting it in the water is very quick. Back down the ramp til the aft bar on the trailer just kisses the water, jump out and release the winch line, lift the bows from the bridle wire and she slips into the water. On really cold days, I don't even get my feet wet as I climb out on the trailer frame to guide the boat over to the side. Then back in the jeep and park the trailer. This is when I put on the bridle fly, trap harness, pfd and raise the main. I already have my camelbak strapped to the tramp and my GPS and phone in a watertight bag on the tramp (I double bag my phone in a ziplock) so am ready to push off and sail. I try not to rush the process and be methodical. I always do it by myself even when I have crew. I lost a mast once when my partner did not understand how the retaining pin on the stay worked and didn't ask me. I view this as a Zen process. Something you have to do to have the benefit of sailing. Well worth the effort. I can be off of work at 3:00, home by 3:15 and on the water sailing by 4pm. Lucky man am I.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Less than 15 mimutes tailer to water - a little longer with a blindfold - and yes, I've done that for a bet! :wink:

The more often you sail the faster you'll get.