Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how about the jib?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

you guys have all been so helpful. i wonder if anyone could point me to links or if you guys have some pictures of detailed workings of raising the jib. i looked in the hobie assembly manual, but i don't know the terms they're using, and the pictures aren't very clear.

thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:45 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
we need to get you a H16 rigging video ASAP. Our very own Matt Miller shows you everything you need to know, he rigs the H16 solo! I will post instructions if someone else doesn't in a bit, in a hurry now.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

that would be awesome.

Post subject: videos
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you would like, I have the two videos from hobie that came with my boat from a previous owner. I think they are like thirty bucks a piece. I'd be glad to have them mailed to you for you to use, provided you eventually mail them back. I'm not using them right now. I have both the rigging video and the racing video. Just e-mail me if you would like for me to mail one or both of them. I can't remember who's in the videos I have. Maybe the ones from sunjammers are more detailed. Its been a long time since I've looked at them.
[email protected]
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i appreciate your offer, but i don't have vcr or a television (and, while i know people with tv's, i don't know anyone with a vcr), so i can only use dvd's. pretty wierd, huh? but thank you anyway...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hear ya. I went about six months without a TV on purpose. Your better off without them. I'd try to explain the jib setup to you, but like yourself I am also a novice sailor and I'd probably end up just confusing you more or using wrong terminology. I've definately been in your position. I hope you can get her out before it gets too cold. If I weren't at work today I'd definately be out. Its in the mid 70's hear in NC with a steady wind coming from the south. Nice. Good luck,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:53 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

okay assuming the jib halyard is run correctly...wait were not going to assume anything...

okay there is a jib block on the upper end of the forestay attached to the mast. I believe the lower forestay connects to the bottom of it and the upper forestay connects to the top(I've been dealing with new boats so this is all from memory)

You should have a lower block as well with a becket on top to tie the halyard too. from the lower block, where you tied it off, run up to the lower pulley on the upper block, down to the pulley on the lower block and back up to the upper pulley on the upper block.

you can pull on the line and raise the lower block, attach the jib sail to the lower block with a shackle. There is a little plastic thing about 4" down from the top of the jib sail called a jib hank, it will fasten to the forestay. Shackle the bottom of the jib to the forestay adjuster..lets say the middle hole to keep it simple. pull the halyard until the sail is tight, run the halyard to the mast cheek block and back to the horn cleat. the jib sail should be up. Attach the jib blocks to the jib clue and your set. Now let me know if this makes any sense to you.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

abbman wrote:
...I hope you can get her out before it gets too cold...

it won't ever get too cold here in florida. it's surfing/sailing weather all year 'round. :)

but i would like to get it out soon. i'm dying to get in the water, and we haven't had any surf for over a week.

sunjammers: i'll have to take this message with me when i go to work on the boat trailer tomorrow and see if i can recognize any of this stuff. thanks for your time, and i'll let you know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:34 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

take a phone and my numner too...i'm not racing today so i'll be in the shop untill around 3. call if you have any questions!