Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib Block Attachment
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My crew has been having a lot of troubles with his jib sheet getting stuck in the jib blocks lately.

We attach two 22mm Harken micro blocks to the 5-hole clew plate using one shackle. We turn the shackle sideways so it's head is through the second hole up from the bottom and the pin is through the bottom hole. Then we hang the blocks from either side. We do this because it seems like the most low profile way to go about it. Unfortunately, the sheet keeps getting pinched in the shackle and otherwise fouled up.

How do you attach your jib blocks to the clew? I was thinking about replacing the shackle with a little spectra loop that I could splice on there. The blocks wouldn't be removable so you would have to re-run the sheet every time. Would this be class legal? Thoughts?

I'm also thinking about buying a light-air jib sheet. Any thoughts on the best line to use?

Post subject: Re: Jib Block Attachment
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi John,

I connect the jib clew blocks the same way you do, except I have the shackle reversed compared with your set-up, i.e shackle pin in the higher hole. Works for us.

I would think using a piece of line would be class legal, but I would have to re-read to confirm.

As far as switching out your jib sheet in light air, if it's that light, isn't your crew hand holding the jib? If they are, I don't see much "bang for the buck" with a lighter weight sheet.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just use a small D-Ring (stainless).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have found that Harken's T2 Soft Attach Carbo Blocks are ideal for the jib clew. They eliminate the need for a shackle because they tie directly to the clew plate. They are extremely light weight and quiet but the best part is that the soft line attachment allows the block to twist as necessary to provide a perfect fairlead.

Harken makes an 18mm version as well but I have only used the 29mm block. It is very low profile and it looks right. I have never had any hang-up problems with the jib sheet. I would highly recommend this block for the jib clew.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Leigh wrote:
I have found that Harken's T2 Soft Attach Carbo Blocks are ideal for the jib clew. They eliminate the need for a shackle because they tie directly to the clew plate. They are extremely light weight and quiet but the best part is that the soft line attachment allows the block to twist as necessary to provide a perfect fairlead.

Harken makes an 18mm version as well but I have only used the 29mm block. It is very low profile and it looks right. I have never had any hang-up problems with the jib sheet. I would highly recommend this block for the jib clew.

Leigh, I think it's an interesting idea to use T2 Soft Attach Carbo Blocks. Can you please let me know which one specifically you using? Do you use Part# 2146 and just buy two of them? Or do you use the Do you use a D-Shackle to connect the two blocks to the clew? Or do you use double block (2147)??

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:06 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The OP's question related to racing, when you want the least possible stack-up on the jib clew so you can sheet it in as far as possible and still have a firm leech with maximum mast rake. The ideal solution would have the blocks extend no further aft than the aft edge of the clew plate - you could sheet in until the plate contacts the jib traveler on the front crossbar.

The other solutions presented here are fine for recreational sailing, but don't solve the OP's problem.

This has been the standard way for racers to mount jib blocks to the clew for many years - the shackle passes through two holes (bow in the lower, pin in the upper) and the blocks are hung on either side. It's a bit fiddlely to attach and it's easy to get the sheet twisted in the process, but once you've done it a few times, it's not that hard:
The only way to improve this would be to either make the blocks smaller (they're already Harken Micros) or to move them forward on the clew plate which would affect the ability to remove the sheet from the jib quickly. This actually works pretty well in this configuration, since when fully sheeted in, the block nestles in between the attachment and fairlead and the clew plate can be made to touch the top of the fairlead. The newer jib cars (standard since 2005), are a bit lower.