Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking to buy a hobie. I will probably be sailing it solo most of the time. In my area I have the following options of boats that are currently for sale.

H14
H16
H17
H18
Prindle 18
Getaway- this isn't really an option as I would like to keep the price around 2k. Although i think it would be perfect for me.

My dilema is that I would like a good boat for a new solo sailer, yet one that I will also enjoy sailing as my skill improves. I need some unbiased advice.

I will use the boat primarily at my local lake. My plan is to keep the boat in dry storage at the lake with it already set up (except sales).

Thanks in advance,
Mike - Phx. Arizona

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At least you asked this question on a Hobie forum. On the general cat sailor forums this will get a heated.... discussion going.

Without knowing your height and approximate weight it will be a toss up between the 16, 17 & 18 (IMO).

I am 6'2" and 250 lbs (give or take, the holidays are rough). I started sailing on an H16 then moved up the H18. I am now thinking of going back to the H16.

I like the H16 because for me it is easy to set up, right, sail, launch, and drag around the beach solo. For people who are not as "husky" as I am righting solo can be very challenging. The H16 is also a very affordable used boat, has a huge following which means there are many people to get advice from, is still in production so good replacement parts are easy to come by, and if you want to get into racing there are many, many fleets around the country.

I like the H18 because it is slightly faster, it handles the ocean swells better, I can take more people on it, and I like having more sail adjustments. I don't like that I can't (yet) set it up solo or right it solo. I am working on both of these as funding allows. Even when I get this taken care of, there will still be one issue that I cannot easily over come. It is a heavier boat that is hard to move around on the beach solo. Depending on where and how you launch this can be a concern. I do love my H18, but sometimes I want the simplicity of the H16 back.

I can't say much about the H17 as I have no first hand experience on the boat. I do know it is more of a solo boat and does not handle the extra weight well if you want to take passengers/crew.

You will get many opinions about this question, but I would suggest the H16 as an all around good boat for what it sounds like you want to do. It can take one or two crew in addition to you, it will be challenging to sail no matter how much experience you have, and they are very reasonably priced.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Mike,
Welcome to the forum. I have a 16 and I absolutely love it. I think that there are some really good features about this boat that make it the classic cat that it is. It is a boat that can be sailed solo, althought it can be rather demanding working the main, jib, and tiller all at the same time. I'm sure that as you begin sailing you are going to want to take others out to experience the same rush that you are going to get once you've sailed one of these boats. It's something that you should really consider. Weight can be a really key factor in how well your boat will perform, and although you claim to be sailing solo most of the time, this is something you'll want to consider. I think all of my 240 lbs might be a bit much on the 14. . Both the 16 and the 18 are designed to have a crew on board but there are plenty of folks that sail these boats single-handed.

If you really doubt that you'll be taking others on board I believe that either the 14 or the 17 would be the best bet. The 17 is a boat that was designed for the single-handed sailor. I'm relatively a novice and I'm sure more of the experienced sailors will comment on this thread and have a much more weighted opinions than I have. I'm assuming that these are used boats so much of your decision should be based on the overall condition of these boats.

As for the Pindle.... come on man this is a Hobie forum

I'd do a bit of research on these boats to decide what will best fit your sailing preference.

Good luck with whichever boad you choose, I think you'd have a blast with any one of them. I love these boats

Just for reference: I bought my 83' 16 in good contition with trailer and a ton of extras for around 800 bucks. Granted, it was from my best friends dad.
James:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike,

You say "probably" sailing it solo. If this is because you're not sure a wife, gf or child will like it, let's immediately rule out the 14, because if this is the case, they'll soon be hooked on Hobie sailing.

I agree with Nick. Do some more reading up on the 16 and buy a used one. You'll be able to get your money back if you "outgrow" it. If you have a chance to personaly ride on these other boats, do that first. If you're thinking of picking up a boat now, at winter prices, get a 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming. My height and weight is 5'11 and 225 lbs, if that helps in the discussion.

Another question, I looked at 16 yesterday that was in great shape however I did see one thing that I was unsure if it was normal or somthing I should stay away from.

There was a few spider cracks (looked like tiny cracks in the gel coat) around one of the portholes on the top of the Hull. There wasn't a ton of them, but four or five. I pushed hard on the area with my palm and it did give a little. Is this something I should be concerned about or is it normal?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm 6'1 225lbs. and have a 16. I don't understand why you think the getaway would be perfect if your going to sail solo most of the time.
The 16 is a great solo boat for me, in anything over 10 knots and I'm trapped out always learning. The question I would have for you is what are the wind conditions like most of the time where you sail? I say that because if you live in gods country where 15 knots is the minimum and many times over 20, then most of these boats are a handful solo with the exception of the 14. A 16 can be set up in 2/3's the time of the 17 or 18 as well.
The spider cracks I wouldn't worry about too much, but the soft spots, move on. If a boat has one soft spot, more than likely there are more to follow. There are alot of 16's out there and I would shop around. Ask any seller if they know if the hulls take on any water. If they say they don't know, then it's more than likely they do, which is ok if they drain them after use or they haven't known to drain the hulls after use, which is trouble long term. For 2k, I would look for a 95 or newer with rock solid hulls with little use and possibly garaged when not in use. That's big money for a used 16, make it count, and I say that because you'll get great bang for your buck if you shop carefully. Again, if it's soft walk! I have two 16's because I didn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How can I tell if the area I identified is a potential soft spot? When I pushed on with all my weight it seemed to give a little. The cap was off, does that make a difference?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike,

from sailingproshop

Quote:
Look all around the hulls for gelcoat (paint) cracks. Sometimes this is okay, but if the area around the cracks is soft, walk away and look for another boat! Press on the decks with the palm of your hand and all of your weight.

If you push down with both palms, at 225, the deck may give, just a little. If not, there's a recurring theme here, move on/walk away.

buzzman2,

Quote:
For 2k, I would look for a 95 or newer with rock solid hulls with little use and possibly garaged when not in use.

email me with the pic's and phone numbers please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If it was a 16 you looked at, there should be no caps. Caps on a 16 are a sign of repaired trouble, walk. Caps on a 16 are bad for resale, even if it's totally fixed. I am stressing this point only, because there are so many 16's out there that are in great shape. Buying a 16 with soft hulls is like buying a car with a bent frame. Send pics like John said if you see something you like or would like input. I've just gotten into this, but I know John has seen many a Hobie and there are others on this site that luv to see somebody get a great deal and join the fun. I guarantee you, if you buy smart for 2k on a 16, you'll sail for free (boat purchase only) for years and sell it for what you paid for it, if you take care of it. I say boat purchase only because, this sport is a drug and you'll want to buy something. Back to the soft spots, what John means by a little is "barely" only because of your stealthy weight. Swing by a dealer to see what a solid hull feels like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My personal experience is only with the h16... and I sail solo, most of the time. I'm 6'1" 260. I just bought it last year and have been out 10 times total.. 8 of them solo. I sailed on multiple gusty days, 20-25... and it was a handful to sail it solo on those days, but still very fun! You just get tired after awhile. :) I found 10-15 kt winds to be awesome for solo'ing! I could practice flying a hull, etc. Gusty days make it more challenging because you have to be on your toes to let out some line.

As for righting... I have yet to capsize it.. but I will do it next season for sure... because I need to learn how difficult it is to right by myself but my boss, who gave me some instruction said he could right his prindle 18 by himself and he only weighed 200lbs. when he had it.

I personally have no experience with other hobies... but my boss loved his prindle 18 and said he sailed it solo many times.. but I believe he said it's way easier with a crewmate. I've seen the h18 in comparison to my h16 and I bet I could probably handle it solo and probably even right it, but I'm a big guy... I'm sticking with the 16.. it's tried and true... and the thing about spare parts is a big factor!

As for investment... I paid $750 for my '82 h16 with trailer from a friend. It hadn't been sailed in 10 years. Needed a new tramp and new lines. Sails were in good shape! I probably spent $500 or so on upgrades/replacement parts and now I'm all set for years to come. I didn't replace the rigging, but I may next year just to be safe. Nobody wants to de-mast, but honestly, the wires look good to me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:00 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quote:
Caps on a 16 are a sign of repaired trouble, walk.

Not necessarily. On an older boat, yes. I know a lot of racers that cut ports in as soon as they get the boat to facilitate drying out.

The port's position is the giveaway. Port in the foeward deck = bad. Port behind the front pylon = probably OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm new to sailing, bought a 14 turbo a few weeks ago and love it. Easy to right, easy to sail solo. Never sailed a 16 so nothing to compare to. All I can say is what a fantastic boat for someone with zero experience sailing.

Try posting the same question in the 14 forum and see what the replies are. It would be interesting. I'm only 160 pounds so a 16 was not a solo option for me. Maybe oneday.....

Good luck, one thing I can tell you is that you'll almost certainly be hooked within minutes of your first outing!