Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and to sailing in general. So to try and sum it up and not give you my life story; my girlfriend and I are wanting to restore a Hobie Cat 16 she inherited recently when her grandfather passed. We both thought it would be a great way to honor and remember him. The problem is neither of us know very much about Hobie Cats. I've always been a powerboat man and she has sailing experience in Navy ROTC and went to sail academy, but does not have experience with Hobie Cats or duel pontoon sailboats. So basically I'm looking for assistance and guidance. She has basically labeled the restoration "my project". I'm not even sure where to begin. I don't know if I even have all the necessary rigging. My thoughts were to first fix up the trailer and get the boat in the water to see if it still floats or if the pontoons need work. But after that I would probably need some assistance on where to go next. Ideally we would like it if there is anyone in the Mooresville NC or LKN area that wouldn't mind coming by and looking at all the rigging and everything we have with it and could tell us what all we are missing or how big of an undertaking this project is. Although, any online guidance or advice is greatly appreciated. I am pretty handy and not afraid of work so I am not looking to sub out the work to someone else. Just push me in the right direction and possibly mentor and assist. We are a young couple so we can't really pay in the conventional way but if you enjoy restoring land bound boats back to the sea and like good company, I can defiantly supply the beer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lesson #1 - Catamarans have HULLS not pontoons.

Here are some good starting points for getting to know your boat:

http://hcana.hobieclass.com/default.asp ... 0071/9268/

http://www.hobiecat.com/sail/hobie-16/

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/hobie-16/

If it's an older boat, you definitely want to make sure it is in sound structural shape and the most important thing is that there are no soft spots in the hulls. Search the forum, there are lots of posts on this subject. You want to go over both hulls very closely and make sure they are solid.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the input. I am currently searching and learning what I can about catamarans. The proper terminology still alludes me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome and good luck with your project. We love pictures, so be sure to post some.

Do you have any idea how old it is? Was it stored inside or outside? What concerns do you have just from your first look?

I started a few years back by wanting to learn to sail, and buying a Hobie 16 off craigslist. I love sailing now, and the H16 is a great way to start. It is fast, and is very addicting.

Have you tried setting it up yet?

The more info you can give us, the more we can help. Don't be afraid to ask, and we will educate you on the correct terminology along the way so that when you are done you can blend in easily with other sailors.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you. I do not know how old it is. I have read some things on here about being able to look at a manufactures code printed or stamped on it and searching the year by that.

It was stored outside behind a plane hanger in between the building and a treeline. It now sits at my friends house outside. I probably should invest in a $12 tarp to protect it from the sun for now.

I have not tried setting it up yet.

One of my main concerns is not having the necessary rigging. And if we don't have it how much it will cost to replace it. Since it is at a friends house it is kind of hard to just go out and check to see whats there. When we moved it I had no clue what I should have been looking for, or what I was looking at for that matter, so I can't recall all that we have.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The manufacturer's number will give the year, the last two digits. The number should be etched into the rear of both hulls where the rudders attach. (The rear of the hulls is the transom.) If the sail is original, its number will give a rough idea of the year. My old sail was no. 86430 and my boat is an '85. Do you have any idea how long it was stored? A few pictures would help everyone advise you. I live in Winston Salem but don't get down that way very often. There are certainly people in the Lake Norman area who could help you. I used to sail at Ramsey Creek near Cornelius and there were quite a few Hobies that sailed there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I live on Lake Norman And have had a Hobie or three around since 1972. Currently have a 16 and a 21 SE will be glad to give advice send message.
Former Hobie Admiral Gary.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I did the same thing! Have fun, take your time and enjoy it. Plus over plan on the cash and time to finish!!!!