Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Boomless Mainsail
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

you got me wanting battens now. Probably add only a few bucks to the cost. Reason I left them out is because it's not a performance sail. My dealer is waiting on a T2 main. He said it may fit in my 16 luff track.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kjunder wrote:
My dealer is waiting on a T2 main. He said it may fit in my 16 luff track.

I am very interested in that idea. I had been pondering it over the winter as a high-wind solution, as it has less square footage than the stock H16 main with the same mast length.

Please let us know what you find out.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I stopped by the dealer to check out the T2 sail and boat dimensions. The mast looks like the same part other than the base and the bob: looks like the same extrusion, same comptip, tang, tang location, etc. Bolt rope looks the same so I think the sail fits the mast.

The distance from the mast to the mainsheet blocks seems the same, at least within an inch or two, so the T2 sail shape should carry over pretty well. So the square-top argument basically would come down to whether or not you like them. With the same mast characteristics and the same sheeting geometry, it would behave like it does on the T2, for better or worse.

Probably needs a smaller jib, too.

I'm still interested. Might see if I can borrow or rent a T2 main from the dealer.

Quote:
But you can't do that on a 16 because it has no rotation control. (14 and 17 do - it's now class legal on the 14.)

I think if someone is adding a square-top and/or boomless sail, they're not too concerned with class conformance.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:32 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

AntonLargiader wrote:
Quote:
But you can't do that on a 16 because it has no rotation control. (14 and 17 do - it's now class legal on the 14.)

I think if someone is adding a square-top and/or boomless sail, they're not too concerned with class conformance.

It's not a question of class compliance - it's a question of $$$. It's not cheap to put a rotation control on a 16.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My dealer has in fact confirmed that the T2 mainsail will fit inside the 16 mast. It's a kinky sail. Once the kinks are out, I'll run it up and post the result on here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any update on the T2 as a boomless option for the H16?

I know many say why not by a wave, or getaway. Truth is I can find an H16 in good shape much cheaper than I can get a wave or bravo or getaway new or used.

I am interested in getting the boomless sail then going back to the original rig once experience is gained.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

lax71vcu wrote:
I am interested in getting the boomless sail then going back to the original rig once experience is gained.

If you are worried about getting hit by the boom, it would be a lot cheaper to just buy a helmet.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Helmet Gotcha. Thanks.

I was more concerned for my two little ones that I was hoping to take along. But thanks all the same.

There is a market in these boomless sails. Maybe not for everyone I understand that certainly. The Hobie 15 sold in Europe is boomless. Very interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie 15 - you'll find these in some Caribbean resorts, Antigua, Martinique and those islands with strong ties to Europe.
We sailed a H15 in Antigua - lovely cat. Higher volume hulls than a H16, no raised platform, furling jib, and a good sail.
However, it is designed to carry up to 4 adults, so my thoughts are that it is more of a 'people carrying' boat like the Getaway,
rather than a 'performance if required' boat like the H16. That's why a H16 has a boom.

Think of it this way - the rigidity and strength of the boom allows you to make more efficient use of the wind, resulting in less effort and more VMG.
Plus you'll go faster. Boomless is a more relaxed and gentle sail, which is what you may want.

We enjoyed our time sailing boomless, great for casual sailing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well Stated john. Not looking to get rid of or no longer have the boom and full H16 main. Just looking for a kid safe and "lazy" option. Appreciate you chiming in. Wish we could get the H15 here. I want a Wave or Getaway but Just too much $ for me so a nice H16 is what I am going to buy. Just trying to see if I can get a lazy option easily.