Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

on the back of each pylon there are tracks about a third of an inch wide. there is a little bit of what might be silicone or caulking in them, but parts of the track are still open in some spots (they weren't completely sealed, some of it has come away). should they be sealed? it seems like they wouldn't be there if they weren't supposed to be open, and it doesn't say anything about sealing them in the hobie assembly manual. so, why is there sealant in there? should i replace it?
thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think that you will probably be fine for taking it out the first time. When I first got my boat I was thinking the same thing about that area. It looked like a lot of the silicone had come off from that area. One of my dad's old school hobie buddies told me that it would probably be fine to take out and my hulls had very little water in them after a days worth of sailing. I'd just go ahead and take it out, sail for a while and then check to see if your hulls are taking on any water. If they are you may want to consider doing a leak test and re-sealing those areas.

Here is an old post that I found that was about this topic:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... 5559ab1db9

Good luck, be safe, and have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think that you will probably be fine for taking it out the first time. When I first got my boat I was thinking the same thing about that area. It looked like a lot of the silicone had come off from that area. One of my dad's old school hobie buddies told me that it would probably be fine to take out and my hulls had very little water in them after a days worth of sailing. I'd just go ahead and take it out, sail for a while and then check to see if your hulls are taking on any water. If they are you may want to consider doing a leak test and re-sealing those areas.

Here is an old post that I found that was about this topic:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... 5559ab1db9

Good luck, be safe, and have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

good advice! thanks again...wish me luck tomorrow, luck of the non-sinking variety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, good luck of the not pitchpolling kind or maybe you want to try it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

no, thanks!

but seriously, folks, the wind is only supposed to be blowing like 6mph tomorrow at noon, so i don't even know if the guy's going to want to go out. friday we're getting 17mph winds, so maybe that'll be the better day?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not to scare you but 17mph might be a bit much for the first day out. I don't know about the 16 but my 14 that I had started to perform in anything over 12 or 15mph. If i had been out in 17mph the first time out... I would have been scared!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

yeah, but i don't think six mph is enough to push a boat. besides, what could possibly go wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First off, 6 mph is enough to move you. You will not go anywhere fast but you will move and it will let you get a feel for the balance of the boat and really get you in tune with how it performs.

Now, what could go wrong, do you want a list? Just be careful wear a pdf and make sure people know where you are going. Also in light wind you can do an on purpose flip and then practive righthing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with gree. The light winds will give you a good feel of how the boat behaves. Things will happen a little more slowly and you will be better prepared for when the wind picks up. You will get an opportunity to push her, but you want to be prepared.

I also think you should really practice righting if the wind is calm and you have a buddy out there with you. I don't know your weight, but you may want to try and right it solo, as long as you've got someone with you. I can right mine in a stiff breeze, but then again I'm pushing 6'5'', 240. Just be sure not to fall on the sail, when you flip. The first time I flipped my boat with a buddy, his shin hit the boom on the way down. That was almost two years ago and he still complains about it every once in a while.

I'd say go both days. Do be sure to tell someone your plan and wear your pfd as gree suggested. Good luck man.