Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is there any way to identify a genuine Hobie tramp? I bought what I thought was a tramp for my H14, but it fits my H16. Everything is heat welded. The owner thought it was for a 14, so he sold it for $99 (brand new). I was planning on returning it, but if it's a genuine Hobie, I think I got a steal and will keep it. The hiking straps are grommeted in, which is better than my current tramp that has them tied in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:57 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Heat welding is usually a sign that it's a Hobie brand trampoline, but grommeted hiking straps are not (but could have been added later by the original owner).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My Hobie vinyl tramp has a small Hobie H in one of the corners. I can't remember where exactly it is but I remember seeing it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Not such a good buy. The tramp looks fantastic. The hiking straps are stitched, not grommeted as I originally posted. Each side is too narrow for the 16 and, too wide for the 14. The length is correct for the 16, but too long for the 14. The rear strap is much narrower than my current 16 which would cause the lacing to have an approximately 3" wide gap. The nice part (I think) is that there is a 1/4" rope heat welded all the way around which would appear to strengthen the lacing area. Also, the grommets are also the much larger #4. I'm considering simply having it cut down at a local shop to fit the 14. Any thoughts as to what I might have? The 14 is a 74 model I believe. Is it possible that Hobie changed the tramp size from the earlier years?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:52 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

smattie wrote:
Not such a good buy. The tramp looks fantastic. The hiking straps are stitched, not grommeted as I originally posted. Each side is too narrow for the 16 and, too wide for the 14. The length is correct for the 16, but too long for the 14. The rear strap is much narrower than my current 16 which would cause the lacing to have an approximately 3" wide gap. The nice part (I think) is that there is a 1/4" rope heat welded all the way around which would appear to strengthen the lacing area. Also, the grommets are also the much larger #4. I'm considering simply having it cut down at a local shop to fit the 14. Any thoughts as to what I might have? The 14 is a 74 model I believe. Is it possible that Hobie changed the tramp size from the earlier years?

What you've described sounds like a Hobie 16 trampoline. On my boat, there's a 3 - 4 inch gap in the rear and 2 - 4 in gap in the center (my tramp is laced super tight - the gap in the center is narrowest in the middle of the boat where the sidebars are bent inward).

The size of the trampoline has not changed. Cutting down a 16 tramp to fit a 14 is madness. You'll ruin it, because you can't heat weld it. You'd be better off selling it to someone who needs a 16 tramp and then buying a 14 tramp.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds, would you have the time to send me a photo of yours? Thanks for the input thus far.