Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm still a bit new to the Hobie Cat world and had a couple questions. What is the preferred order for doing things to get a boat from the trailer to the water? Right now, here is my current order:

1. Clear off the trampoline and get the wire ties off the mast.
2. Pin mast, put it up, pin forestay, unpin mast hinge.
3. Trailer the boat over to the ramp.
4. Put both jib and main up, leaving sheets loose (ramp is very sheltered)
5. Drive down to ramp, untie and push boat off trailer.
6. Install rudder assembly
7. Paddle out of ramp area
8. Lock down rudders and sheet in.

Is there a better way to put the rudders on? Right now I leave everything assembled and just pull the pins. This feels like it really takes 3 people: One to hold up the tiller bar, and one to handle each rudder. I'd also like to install the rudders on land but can't for a couple reasons. The area is shallow and the rudders can't be down all the way until I get out a bit. And I can never get them to stay in the up position.

Has anyone come up with a way to drop the jib while on the water and not get wet? I think I can lock/unlock the main from the trampoline. But trying to come up with a way to drop a small anchor to go swimming.

Last edited by ohlins8990 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

like..you have this!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can't get the rudders to stay up? The upper casting engages into the lower casting to hold the rudders up. With the boat on the trailer, lift the tip of the rudder up as high as it will go. The tiller arm should raise up and then drop down and lock the rudder up. I it is not doing this, then most likely either the rudder castings are damaged or the holes in the rudders are not positioned properly. Also, if your rudder system is really sloppy, you may have trouble getting it to engage properly. You may need to add some shims.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have never taken the rudders off, for trailering or for launching. If the tiller extension is laid on the tramp, across the rear beam, the rudders will go down (unless the rudders are tied up) so put the tiller extension across the tiller arm. Also, I always tie the rudders up to the cross beam for trailering and leave the lines tied until the boat is launched. I have forgotten to untie them before heading out but very seldom. The original rudders are still on the boat since 1985 after a lot of trailering with no undue wear.

I assume you don't have a beach to pull the boat up for rigging. I like to connect boom and blocks on dry land in case I drop anything but always raise the sails after beaching the boat, facing into the wind. Are there no other launch area choices where a beach is available?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This:
hrtsailor wrote:
If the tiller extension is laid on the tramp, across the rear beam, the rudders will go down (unless the rudders are tied up) so put the tiller extension across the tiller arm.

I find it easiest to install the rudder assembly with the boat still on the trailer. With the older style assembly, I used to flip the crossbar/tillers all the way backwards (removes a variable from your equation), then attach the first rudder while the other side of the assembly is propped against the rear beam. The Hobie 20 tiller connecters make this process a breeze.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm a brand new addict to this sport. I see a leaf move and I want to leave the office. Anyway, I'm always interested in hearing how others launch. There is absolutely no one in central PA (so far) that has a Hobie on the lakes I've traveled to. Everything I've learned has been trial and error and learning from the pros on this blog. Anyway, I've never removed my rudders. As hrtsailor mentioned, keeping the extension across the beam (parallel to the cross bar), the rudders stay up without issue. I typically raise my jib prior to launch. At the ramp, I remove the last two tie down a straps and launch - five minutes tops. Once it's off the trailer, I either pull it to a nearby beach, or wait for my crew and sail it on the jib to a nearby beach. That way I'm out of the way of motorized traffic so I can raise my main. I've noticed some really uncool etiquette at the launch ramps. If nothing else get it off (or on) the trailer and get it away from the ramp before dropping the mast or even tying it down. Have the sails down so the wind doesn't mess with loading. I watched a guy tie up the ramp for twenty minutes tying down his jet ski. Uncool. Don't give sailors a bad rap by doing something similar.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Been doing this so long now that I hardly think of the process anymore. When I first started I had a checklist. I missed the hull plugs one time, but that's another story. The process is slightly trailer specific, but I have tried to generalize the steps and processes.
1. take bungee chords off mast and remove stays from forward mast crutch. I also take the flag off the top of the mast where it warns followers not to put the mast through windshield.
2. stand on trailer at mast base and fwd crossbar. Slide mast back using aft mast holder. Rotate mast to groove down and pin.
3. clear jib halyard. Pin jib at bridle and attach to halyard. Take slack out of halyard and tie off at base of mast.
4. Up on tramp and check all lines and stays are clear. Port side of mast facing stbd side, right foot on aft crossbar. Bend over and lift mast into place forward.
5. leaning into mast with shoulder, reach down and tighten the jib halyard.
6. Go fwd and pin forestay to bridle. While there clip jib sheets to jib clew.
7. Run trap lines under tramp.
8. Remove aft mast holder from crossbar.
9. Clip on helm extension stick.
10. Rolled main up on tramp. Unroll and start bolt rope in groove. Attach main halyard.
11. Goose neck in groove.
12. Main sheet threaded and block attached.
13. Hull plugs in!!!
14. Trailer tie downs off. GPS on and tracking, keys, phone in dry bag tied to tramp. camel bak with water attached. PFD and butt bucket up on tramp.
15. Back down ramp until the aft trailer crossbar just kisses water. Park and handbrake applied. Take off winch line and lift the bows and it slides right in.
16. Walk boat over to beach/grass/dock
17. Park car and trailer
18. Butt bucket on, PFD on, Bridle windex on.
19. Bows to wind. Raise the main. push off. drop rudders. Sail
Sounds exhausting, but done in a bit over 25 minutes and its a Zen thing. Getting ready for the sail.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have to add my a step before raising mast near a boat ramp , landing is check for power lines.
Ramps around here seem to want to pit them across the ramp for some dumb reason.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Also, watch for tree limbs. Almost pushed boat onto parking lot in Beaufort.