Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib halyard
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm not sure how to use the jib halyard (upwind /downwind and with light/ strong wind) to change the settings of my hobie. I read more mast rake=more power but also more jib halyard tension= more power (but this means reduce mast rake?). Well I have great confusion in my head.....Can someone explain to me how to set it?

Post subject: Re: Jib halyard
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A rookies attempt on the subject, the rake is determined by what hole the side shrouds are in, so tension on the jib won't affect the rake. I'm not sure I've read much on jib halyard tension though, if I have it got lost in all the details of what else I was reading, maybe once I remember but thats about it. Looking forward to reading the experts reply.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Correct... rake is primarily determined by shrouds. You pull the mast forward with the jib halyard until the rig is snug. Rake can be induced by loosening the jib halyard, but generally you keep it snug. We had a Hobie 16 World championships in New Caledonia where I saw... for the first time... extreme rake with completely loos jib halyards. The youth sailors had to depower. The booms were dragging on the rear crossbar. But that was unusual. Very high winds and very light crews.

Generally... since block systems vary... rake aft to where the mainsheet blocks are just about touching when fully sheeted. The boat points higher and the sail area is over the rudders for better lateral resistance. Rake will vary with different mainsheet systems, so low profile and smaller diameter sheaves are the go.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes primarily the rake is determined by the hole you choose in the shrouds accordingly too your total weight (for me/us as I sail with my son is the third hole from the bottom). Then you tune it with the tension of the jib halyard. How tight (distance if you pull the halyard from the mast)? If you have to add/de power you pull it or release it? Upwind/downwind is the same or you want it tighter downwind ( because you move forward the mast) and looser upwind?

Sent from my T7 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone here to help?

Sent from my T7 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:38 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

If you're not racing, then there's no need to adjust the halyard on the water - unless it's too loose (you can't sheet in the main enough to get a firm leech). The danger with adjusting on the water with the stock cleats is that you'll loosen it too much and not be able to get it back firm enough.

Set your rake with the sidestay adjusters, then tighten the jib halyard until it's firm - minimal play in the sidestays - and there's slack in the forestay.

Racers use an aftermarket system with two cleats that facilitates adjustment from upwind (looser) to downwind (tighter) - but it really doesn't make that much difference.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The first time I sailed my H16 I didn't hardly tighten the Jib, and the mast was held up by the forestay. The boat pointed very well and performed well in very light air. That last couple of times out I noticed that my son had over tightened the Jib halyard and when out on the water noticed that even when in irons the mast was flexed. It didn't point well...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

ASDASC wrote:
my son had over tightened the Jib halyard and when out on the water noticed that even when in irons the mast was flexed. It didn't point well...

You have to have more tension on the jib halyard than the (rigging) forestay. The jib becomes the forestay when sailing. This is what keeps the jib from bowing to leeward... but... you can over tighten the halyard and compress the mast (bend). That makes for difficult tacking at the minimum.

Your forestay should be slack by 4-6" minimum when the jib is tensioned. If not... move it up on the chainplate or add another adjuster. This way it will go slack without having to add too much halyard tension.

Difficulty pointing can be caused by a number of things. Not enough mast rake, over tensioning the mainsheet / jib sheet, pinching too high (stalling / crabbing)... and many others.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think I have been making my jib too tight! I've seen the bend in my mast when I'm doing it.......

Are you supposed to raise the main or the jib first or does it matter? When I first started the previous owner taught me the jib first, but I saw the Hobie owner a few doors down doing the main first so I went that way to avoid the beating the jib puts out when the wind is good.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I hoist my jib first, as it seems to make hoisting the main easier. I can't see how it matters, but would like to hear other's comments.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Jib first or main first really doesn't make much difference.

I put my jib up first because it stabilizes the rig - takes the slack out of the standing rigging - and makes it easier to hoist the main. The mast doesn't slop around every time you pull on the main halyard.

Once you've got both sails up, that's when you make the final adjustments.

Once you've got your boat set up to your satisfaction - mark the jib halyard with a Sharpie or a piece of vinyl electrical tape so you can easily reproduce the settings. Hoist the jib to the mark, hoist the main, go sailing!