Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I picked up "unintentionally" a used Cheata bracket on Craigslist the other day and then a 2.5HP Merc showed up at my back door about the same time. So I was forced to move ahead with installing the motor bracket on my 16.

I put the Hobie in the water, measured and set the level while sitting on the cat and installed the 4 rivets on the top and when I went to install the two rivets on the bottom I was about 1/4" away from the tramp frame.

Now with the motor on it there is a bit of play - rocking up and down so I will really need to secure those two bottom holes in the bracket to the tramp frame.

I am thinking of putting some washers or some type of spacer (small strip of aluminum or something that will not corrode) and then secure it with some SS screws.

I can't decide what screws to use as I think they would eventually pull thru the aluminum frame. So thinking about something that would go inside the frame and expand out and then I can screw a screw into that??

Any suggestions?

I am going to figure out how to post a pic now so you can see the bracket install.

TIA

Matthew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can you pull that mount more forward at the bottom by using a ratchet strap, one side hook to the dolphin striker and the other end ,hook it to the motor mount and gain what you can....maybe that will work.... :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a good thought I will see if I can ratchet it forward enough to fix the rivets.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That did not work, it is solid. Will not close up the gap.

I will need to put a spacer in to fill that gap and then try and secure it with something.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well....now try Devcon Aluminum Putty (F) 10610...remove what you installed by simply drilling out the rivets.

Now mix up the putty and smear plenty of this putty on the underside of bracket, heavier near the open area and re rivet the top again.Tool off all extra mix while it still pliable.Work very fast. Let the putty set up a day or two and rivet the bottom with very long grip rivets. This stuff works well...maybe too well as the engine mount may not be removable...oh well.......

Now, go sailing......... :D

If you lived near me, I would loan you enough putty to finish this task. Good luck! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think I may just do that. It would fill in the space perfectly!

I did put my new motor on it and took a couple of test drives to break in the engine.

Now I am somewhat freaked out with my new $900 Evinrude stickin all the way out there, just waitin for it to fall off.

I may have to rig a safety rope or something just for peace of mind. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

By the way, where is a good place to get extra long SS rivets?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree, bedding it with epoxy sounds like a reasonable option. West Systems six10 epoxy works very nicely. It comes in a caulk tube style canister so you can dispense it with a caulk gun and it comes with a static mixing nozzle, so you don't have to do any mixing, just screw on the nozzle and you're good to go. Working time in moderate temperature is around 30 minutes, so you have plenty of time to get things where you want them.

The other option would be to remove the rivets you already installed and just move the thing up so it is seated flush with the rear crossbar, then re-rivet it. You may need to drill new mounting holes in the bracket so the new rivets are far enough away from the holes you already drilled.

For rivets, I find McMaster Carr to be your best bet for a variety of lengths of stainless steel. You will likely need to buy more than you need, but it's always good to have spares anyway.

sm