Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Found another H16 here ($500). Vintage 1979. He said it has inspection ports? What should know and look for?

Thanks again,

Clayton

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Inspection ports are installed on a boat to access the interior of the hull. They are usually around 4 inches in diameter and they have lids that screw in place to create a water tight seal. You can also add port bags to stow extra gear.

Many times inspection ports are added on a Hobie 16 to aid in a repair of some sort. They are not stock on a new boat. They can also be added to aid in ventilation or water removal after sailing. Personally, I would be cautious of a boat that has ports forward the front crossbar. The hulls are under a lot of stress in that area when under sail and it just doesn't make sense to me to remove glass in that area, but I'm sure there are plenty of boats sailing around just fine with them.

Vintage isn't necessarily a good thing in the boat world. I'd be sure to press on the hulls really well and check for soft spots before I paid anything for the boat. Pay special attention to the decks. Soft spots are areas where the fiberglass has delaminated and separated from the foam core. It's a bad thing and can potentially cause catastrophic failure while on the water.

Does the boat have a trailer? Did the seller mention any upgrades? (Harken blocks, hot stick, adjustable rudder arms, EPO rudders, aussie halyard, etc.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply.

This forum has be great to lean about buying a used boat. So much so, I have inspected and passed on two already. I didn't ask about any upgrades but can spot them when I take a look. I have just never heard of inspection ports before. Sounds like it is not uncommon. I'll see how they look and let you guys know.

Also, any worries about storing the rudders on the transoms?

Thanks again.

Clayton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would guess more than likely, if its in front of the forward pylons, it could have had delamination in that area. I can't speak for all 1979's but mine had that problem, and there are others out there too. I fixed mine by injecting epoxy, to fill the voided area. From what I have read about storage ports on hobies, there is a prefered way of installing them.
Leaving your rudders on the boat, during the off season storage time should be fine, I have done that for about 25 years (stock rudders) but if you have epo's or a performance type rudders, it probably would be a good idea to cover up the blades.

79 H16 #46803