Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hatch bags yes or no?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i was wondering if anybody has ever put hatch bags on a hobie 16? can this be done? would it weaken the hulls?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have hatch bags on our Hobie 16. We've had our boat for 36 years & we had our hatches installed about 25 - 30 years ago, just forward of the front pylons on both hulls. We live in San Diego, so we sail often in the bay & ocean; occasionally on a lake. We've trailed our boat long distances over the years. I've read on this forum where there might be some problems with making the hulls weaker, but we've never had any problems. We had a soft spot in a small area just forward of the hatch on one of our hulls about 10 years ago, but it was easily repaired. We had a choice between a large bag or a smaller bag. We chose the larger bags. We use them occasionally for snacks & soft drinks. You can use them for breeze breakers & small trap suits, but those items are difficult to stuff in there and even harder to get back out. I've fixed it so that the hatch cover is attached with a suture to the bag so that the cover will never float away when I open it up while on the water. I would have them installed again if we ever get a new boat.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Consider weighing up your options first before you go cutting a port hole in the top of your H16 just to facilitate a minimal storage solution.
Typically port holes on a H16 are used to gain access for internal inspection/repairs. It's just a bonus that we can fit a hatch bag which in my opinion is rather small for dry storage.
Dependent on what your wanting to store or carry there are many dry bag solutions which are much larger and removable at the end of the day.
Port holes will only depreciate your H16, in some sense they 'can' weaken the hulls (although not typically seen if installed correctly) and require some maintenance/repair in time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hatch bags are fine but only if you must install an access port to start with. Having access ports allow my boat to breath better which keeps my boat dry on the inside year round. This is a good thing.

The idea of cutting a hole in a good hull and installing an access port just so you can gain a very small storage pocket is not a great idea.

If you are determined to go forward with adding one, let me share with you what I have done with some older 16's.

I use the curved based access ports to help maximize contact with the hull.

After cutting the correct size hole and sanding down any roughness left from the cut job, I flip the boat upside down and stage the boat on top of some sawhorses. This make gravity your friend. :) I like to reinforce the hull where the hole was cut with two pieces of main batten stock shaped to match the interior of your hull about 2" from this new hole in your boat and perpendicular to the outside of your hulls. Use a small piece of cardboard as a template to get the right curvature and be sure to install these batten "standing on their edge" and reaching just shy of both hulls inside.Now, fiberglass them in place but only on the back side so not to leave any roughness near this opening that can tear the hatch bag. Your hull deck is now stronger than before you cut a hole in it. Now flip the boat right side up.

Now you ready to install the access port base. Be sure not to over tighten the screws which will deform the seal between the access port and the base right at the O ring seal. That will cause a leak into these bags.

Good luck.