Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am thinking about relacing my trampoline, but don't want to go with the plain white line listed in the catalog, and I have read that Dyneema line is probably what I should go with. But on the APS website's fiber guide they say that dyneema's low stretch is good where as Vectran is excellent and I was wondering if this ( http://www.westmarine.com/buy/new-engla ... 71_002_520 ) line was low stretch enough to be used as a trampoline lacing. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

If you notice, the smallest diameter they sell is 8 mm (~5/16"). That's a bit large (and total overkill) for trampoline lacing. It's also a double braid, meaning it has a cover (polyester) over the core (vectran) - it doesn't bend / slide easily around the tramp grommets, making it tougher to get the tramp truly tight.

5 mm (a bit larger than 3/16") is more than adequate, and a single braid Dyneema line has the advantage of being ultra-flexible and a bit slippery (it has a waxy feel to it) to slide around the grommets easily.

You'll never, ever notice the difference in stretch characteristics.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oh, excuse me.. not at all what I thought...more detail is better in titles...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am in the habit of replacing the lacing every year so do not get the expensive fancy stuff. I find a 1/4 inch line that is not going to soak up water and has a braided cover or solid braid at Lowes or Home Depot. I am able to hold about a 3/4 to 1 inch bow in the sidebars and it stays tight throughout the season. When sailing is done for the year I cut off the old line and take the tramp off for storage inside for the winter. Re-lace again the next spring. Best upper body work-out I ever do.