Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

can anybody confirm you can use a mainsail from a 14 on the 16 ??

reason is i would 3 double my days on the water :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:55 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Technically, you could use it, but you'd have to use a halyard extension so you could still lock the halyard in at the top of the mast (DO NOT just cleat the halyard off - you will pull the cleat right off the mast).

Another issue is the mainsheet angle. You'd have to use the 16's boom to get the right angle - and consequently have to use an extension on the outhaul.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MBounds wrote:
Technically, you could use it, but you'd have to use a halyard extension so you could still lock the halyard in at the top of the mast (DO NOT just cleat the halyard off - you will pull the cleat right off the mast).

Another issue is the mainsheet angle. You'd have to use the 16's boom to get the right angle - and consequently have to use an extension on the outhaul.

Thanks super :-) a main 14 it is for the windy days

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I may have a 14 main to sell in a week or so. I'm waiting on a neighbor to decide if he wants the hulls and tramp from my beat up 14 to make a beach raft/lounger. If so, I'll be parting the rest of the good parts out. I've got a main that's in really good shape I bought off ebay last season. The number decals are peeling, but otherwise it's in great shape (I can provide detailed pics). I also have all the battens to go with. let me know if you're interested and I'll keep you in the loop. If my neighbor passes, I'm going to try and sell the whole boat, so I would need to keep the main with it.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has anyone ever tried to fit a sail from an Alpha-Cat to an H16 for the same reason? The previous owner of the cottage left a brand new AlphaCat sail in the attic when they left. It has a similar bolt rope, etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One other thought, Matt, on the H14 mainsail, could they use the same halyard and just raise the boom? Or would having the sail so high change the Center of Effort too much?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Instead of a 14's sail, I'd think about getting an older, worn out 16 sail. I have a new sail and an older one that effectively depowers the boat. I've got an even older sail that I've never tried that's been beat to death. My guess is using it, especially without battens, would end up with a significant drop in performance, like maybe 20 - 30% performance drop.

I have the option of reefing my 16's mainsail. I've tried it a couple of times. I wasn't impressed. Both times I went swimming.

If you want to try my beat up sail, send me a PM. I'll send it to you, and if it works for you, you can send me a hundred bucks.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:D :D :D im in sweden..would be too expencive to send..... but thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bet there are a lot of used up H16 sails in Europe. I'd hunt around. Here's the web site for Sweden's Hobie group -- http://www.hobie.se/ I'd try asking them for advice on finding an old sail.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A dead sail isn't a solution... the boat is still overpowered but the performance sucks. You really need a smaller sail that performs well, so it can be trimmed properly. I share your desire on this topic and I'm interested in putting a T2 sail (square top but less sail plan) on my H16. The measurements I have taken so far indicate that it might work, but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe at the Duck Cup next month I can do that, as it is hosted by a Hobie dealer who has T2s on hand.

I mentioned this in a thread maybe last September. The T2 has basically the same mast as the H16.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

if the sail fits in the tracks..it should work.
just need to extend the ropes :D
im for sure getting a smaller sail, realy annoying to be overpowered so often

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I like that idea of using a 14 main on a H16.
But you would probably want to use a non comptip steel halyard with the brass crimped on stopper further up, to compensate for the shorter length of the sail. If your mast is a one piece aluminum, it would seem better to use than one, that had a comp tip installed.
I would keep the boom, right in the same down haul, tensioning range, that the 16 already is at, and if you had to use the 16 boom, because of length, to keep your blocks in the right position.

79 H16 #46803