Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Holder Hobie 14 sailboat. I am able to step the mast into the slot and stand it upright OK. My question or advice requested is how can a single person keep the mast upright while exiting the boat to attach the for-stay to the bow without the mast falling back down and trashing the boat and/or mast or me for that matter? I thought about rigging a pulley system mounted to the front of the trailer and attaching the other end of the rope to the mast at the top where the cables attach. Then when the mast is in the upright position I would pull on the rope through the pulley mounted to the trailer and tie it off at the base of the mast. The tension of the rope would hold the mast towards the bow of the boat...hopefully. Then I can exit the boat and attach the for-stay to the bow. I would have to tie off the rope attached to the top of the mast along the bow side of the mast so as not to interfere with raising and lowering the main sail with this line. I'm all ears if there is a better and safer way. I do not want to have to rely on a system at a boat launch ramp to hold the mast upright that I have been told to use. Not all launch ramps will have this feature I'm sure.
Thanks
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There are to options:

1. I leave the boat on a slope so the mast lean forward.
2. If no slope I tie a roap to the end of the forestay and then push it through the shackle which is suppouse to connect to the forestay. Then I lift the mast, pull the rope with the forestay and hold it until I get off and attach the forestay.

I donno if that makes sence. English is not my first language.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Use the main halyard.

Tie the forward end of your main halyard to your forward mast stand on the trailer. Get in the boat and step the mast. Pull all of the slack out of the main halyard and cleat it off using one of the jib cleats or one of the cleats at the base of the mast. Then jump down and pin the forestay.

Note that you may need to attach a second piece of line to the halyard in order to make it long enough.

sm