Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Several H16 folks I've talked to say you need at least two people or one person with a water bucket strapped on them to right a H16. I'm just hoping for an education. What would be the best set up for solo righting a turtled H16? I've seen a video on Youtube of a guy managing it but I can't tell what he used for the setup.

Chances are I'll be out with someone, but I would be much more comfortable knowing I can handle every situation on my own without help. I figured a totally turtled H16 is about as challenging as it would get if I were out solo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This topic has been discussed extensively in the past. I recommend using the search function of this forum or even the google search engine which relays back to these forum pages.
In short there are many methods to right a cat and each method can be vastly dependent on numbers and the conditions your in. I.e. I have recovered my H16 solo from Turtle simply using my righting rope and the 2 metre swell which put me there in the first place. I then used my righting pole to solo right.

HTH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, you can right a turtled H16 solo. If the wind is blowing enough to knock you over, there is enough to get you upright.
1. You are turtled. Grab a line to help you balance and walk to the back of a hull. The bows will come tits up^^ then move to the middle of the hull.
2. The boat will rotate around the mast onto it's side. You may have to do this a few times to get it completely on it's side. You will still have about the top 1/4 to 1/3 of mast in the water, depending on how well you waterproofed the mast.
3. Grab your righting line and get it over the top of the upper hull.
4. Move forward on the hull so that the wind will push the ass end around and the bows will be pointing into the wind. This is critical to solo righting. The wind needs to be able to get under the main.
5. Once pointing into the wind, move back to middle of the hull and hang back on the righting line. This should be done vigorously, I'm talking yanking and jerking. you need to get the whole mast to the surface. Oh yeah, be sure the sheets are let go and free to run or you will be trying to lift tons of water with the sails.
6. When it starts to come up you need to dive under the upper hull as it comes over your head and get your weight on the lower hull or it will just continue to go over the other way.
7. Also you will be sailing immediately so be ready to hang on.
8. Make sure and grin through the entire process as you have just joined a unique group of crazy people who enjoy this kind of stuff.
I would say that I have done this a million times, but my wife reminds me that she has told me a million times to stop exaggerating.
Enjoy... really, enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can I add to make sure you don't forget to uncleat the jib, very important, as I found out last weekend, got her flipped up, thought I'd be cool and grab the aft bar as she sailed over me, had forgot the jib, she really took off, I missed the crossbar,....... jib release, very important lol.
If you are wondering,...... Family on a jet ski near by gave me a quick ride halfway across the lake. Don't completely let go of the boat, ever, also very important.
I'm still having a great time learning how to sail and all the intricacies of the sport, and all the beginner mistakes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

greensnopro,
End of step 5. Let go the sheets. Jib and main. Scariest thing ever for an offshore sailor is to watch as your boat sails away without you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:56 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

#6 - grab the low side of the dolphin striker (with both hands) as the boat comes up to keep it from going over the other way. Much easier than trying grab the hull or otherwise trying to get your weight on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like to get my weight out as far as possible as quickly as possible. Also up on the tramp and headed back for the tiller. If you time it right the lower hull is still pretty low in the water and easy to access. One thing I failed to mention is that your dive needs to be towards the bow in front of the tramp frame. I can just see people complaining that they are not skinny enough to squeeze between the hull and sidebar. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mdgann

#5,..... I wasn't saying you missed letting loose the sheets I was just sharing my own mistakes trying to be funny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's cool...and funny. The reason I contribute here is because I have been doing this for so long I have made all the mistakes...more than once...or twice. And still learning. Have a Hobie day.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mdgann wrote:
That's cool...and funny. The reason I contribute here is because I have been doing this for so long I have made all the mistakes...more than once...or twice. And still learning. Have a Hobie day.

I was thinking as the boat left me, I sure am glad I had people near by, and that I wasn't out on lake michigan which I had planned on doing that week, but the winds got a little too strong.

Even in a small lake it was a terrible feeling, and fairly embarrassing. I also found out that rocking to and fro on the water it a bad time to try and learn to reeve a main sheet. I haven't been able to find a drawing of how to properly do mine. its a 7:1 ? I believe.
It looks like the 6:1 but has an extra smaller pulley in the middle at the top