Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: where?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Where does one go (website) to see the 2017 H16's? when they come out?
Any ideas of new colors?

Post subject: Re: where?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:15 am 
Site Admin

September 1st. hobiecat.com

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have you seen them yet Matt? how about a teaser? suspense is killing me!

And,..... how does someone buy the boats with the special stuff? like I've seen, some with Coke, or other things i can't remember off the top of my head. just curious.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Coke?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

Regatta sails can sometimes be purchased. We have a few Euro sets available now. Event boats are sold at the venues. New 2017 H16 will just have some new sail and hull graphic colors.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:26 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

gino wrote:
Coke?
He's talking about the 2004 Worlds boat sails:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I own boat number 56 now ^_^ Nice to see an old photo of it. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BboySlug wrote:
I own boat number 56 now ^_^ Nice to see an old photo of it. 8)

That's pretty cool, Did you get it after the race was done? or come by it later on?

Thanks for the info Matt!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I found it on Boat Trader from a guy in Detroit last Fall. I bought it off of him and drove up from Austin, TX to Detroit and back during Labor day weekend with two college buds. Was tough, 40 hrs of driving in a 72hr weekend. Wasn't even Eat/Sleep/Drive... was just Sleep/Drive and we ate on the road. I bought it for $5200.

I still keep in contact with the previous owner. He was just a recreational sailor but he kept the boat in beautiful condition. I am also trying to keep it in tip top shape mainly because I race the thing. I'll text him sometimes asking things about the boat, and send him photos of what races I place in, and action shots etc. He enjoys it.

Sadly, he was not the guy who bought it after the races back in 2004. The guy he bought it off of is probably the original owner who bought it after the races. My previous owner does not keep in touch with the (assumed) original owner. So, I can't piece together the entire history of my boat. I think it's a safe assumption to say that I'm the 3rd owner because my previous owner says he had the boat for about 10 years. So the original owner had it less than 2 years or so, and it somehow made its way up to Detroit from Mexico.

He also says the boat has never been dipped in saltwater, other than the original competition. I haven't dipped it in saltwater because I keep crewing for other people at out circuit competitions on the coast. Next year however, that will change.

I know sail number 52 or 50 is in Door County Wisconsin now. Some guy with that worlds boat hunted me down and he texts me sometimes asking questions about rigging and repairs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:51 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

That photo is from the 2004 Hobie 16 North Americans in Syracuse, NY. Boat 56 was being sailed by Peter Nelson/Laura Sullivan, a team from Seattle - so it was probably a charter boat owned by the dealer in Syracuse - Rob Jerry / Boatworks, Ltd.

I live in the Detroit suburbs and never saw the boat sailing when it was here, even though that was a time period when we had significant activity in the Detroit Hobie fleet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BboySlug, pretty cool stuff, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
so it was probably a charter boat owned by the dealer in Syracuse - Rob Jerry / Boatworks, Ltd.

Well that's pretty cool. I found Rob's contact info online and shot him an email asking if it passed through his dealership. Maybe I'll be able to piece the history together all the way back to the competition in 2004! :)

I will admit though, the tiller on my boat is not the same tiller now. I have an aluminum tiller now.

Quote:
I live in the Detroit suburbs and never saw the boat sailing when it was here, even though that was a time period when we had significant activity in the Detroit Hobie fleet.

Well like I said... my previous owner was a recreational sailor only. So he probably never competed. He also never had to put registration numbers on the boat. He said he would sail the boat on Lake Huron and he didn't put registration numbers on it because of something going on with Canada being so close. I forgot what exactly the loop hole in the law he found was, but I didn't really care. When I put my TX numbers on it, I had to scratch the Cummins diesel engines sponsor sticker off of it to put my TX numbers on the boat. It was in the way.

-Evan