Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Harken 6:1
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey everyone. I just saw on ebay that there is a Harken 6:1 mainsheet system for under $100. If anyone wants to check it out here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harken-6 ... 7499QQrdZ1

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:54 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
this is a 7:1 systaem, overkill for the h16. It also will not let you achive the proper mast rake. Not a good deal in my opinion...

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I just saw it while browsing and thought I'd throw it out there. Now that I've looked at it closer your absolutely right. My bad. Good call.

James

Post subject: Like this
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Abbman:

You need some 2.25" like this from your local Hoibe dealer.

http://store.catsailor.com/tek9.asp?pg= ... =jrrrfoipc

The small carbos are NICE :D :) :P

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I actually have a 6:1 mainsheet system on my H16. I was fortunate enough that it came with my boat when I got it. I don't know if they are carbos or not. I know that there are some sailors like myself that are also looking for good deals on upgrades and at first glance I thought this was a good deal, but as Brad corrected me, I was wrong about this one. I may have reacted a little too quickly.

But now that I'm thinking about this... Should I relocate the boom bales to accomodate for the 6:1, or are they ok the way they are? I've been attaching the upper block to the rear bale.

James

Post subject: Been to long
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Abbman:

I last had a 16 in 81, to long to remember, BUT I did have 5 to 1 Harkens and they worked great. Don't know about bales. BUT measure your blocks, you want to try to get 2.25", that is what I have on 17. Carbos are newer blocks and REAL light, if you can find them. Just keep looking.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:15 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

this is the best setup for the 16 http://www.sunjammers.com/item/view/108
click on the picutre to see an upclose view. I have not seen any used on the market yet, well I have they are just in the 7K range and include a free boat!

Post subject: YES!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brad/Guys:

YES these are it. Get the carbo's and use the smallest waterproof line your hands can take. Trust new, smaller is better. It will feed out a LOT faster when you come around a mark to blow the sheets. The carbo's are WORTH the extra money. VERY light and you can set ratchet on/off be pending on wind strength.

Good job Brad in finding them.

Doug

Last edited by DougHobie17 on Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:05 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

we use 5/16" line on the main and 1/4" on the jib. I have ran 1/4" on the main to see if it made much difreance, i could not tell any only a bit harder to sheet on. 5/16" line feels about the same in my hand as larger line but runs thru the blocks 100% better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is my mainsheet set up. I added a quick release shackle to the upper block to make setting the boat up a little easier, plus it has helped me right my boat a little quicker it seems if the wind isn't helping. I can just unclip the block from the boom to help the sails not hold so much water, I know this wouldn't be ideal if I was racing for instance but it helps when solo rec sailing sometimes. It is ok to attach that kind of shackle or does it elongate the blocks too much?

James

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Abbman:

What you have will work great, no need to but new ones, just get 5/16 waterproof line, it will make a BIG difference in the way it feeds out. There is a part you can get where you drill a holes in top block and run a blot thru (I will try later to take pic with webcam , as digital is broken now) and you can attached line to after running it thru extra block 28-2659 , that will give you 7 to 1.
Get part D on pager 21 of this: http://www.murrays.com/archive/20-21.pdf and put a shackle on traveler attachment and run it thru pin on traveler and then thru the U part of part D. That way you just pull the pin and put it thru hole in ratchet block (make sense)? May want to also add 27-4001 Spinlock to, I like it.

I didn't' know you had a 17. & 7 to 1 works GREAT on mine. Here is my boat and improvements I have made.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php ... _album.php

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DougHobie17,
Just to clarify, I actually do not have a 17, just a H16. I don't know where I gave that impression, I must have typoed somewhere. It would be nice though, they look like awesome boats, I've actually never been on one but I like the way that they are designed for solo sailing. They just look fast. But thanks for the advice, I'm looking into replacing all of my sheets here soon and I'll be sure to make those adjustments. Thanks alot. What brand of line do you recommend? I've been looking at either the Yale Light or Marstron lines?

James

Post subject: Sorry
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

James:

Sorry I just thought in one of the forum you tried to attach a pic and when I load it, it was a 17. Yea it SCREMS in 15 and up with the reacher. I don't remember the brand line. I got it from either West marine or Boat/US. Just tell them you want whatever is on sale that DOESN'T absorb water. That way in sheet fall off and trails behind boat it won't get heavy. Either way make those improvements and you will be set with bloacks.

Good luck,

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

James,

Attach the upper block to the rearward boom bale. This keeps forward pressure on the boom and helps in rotating the mast.

You're blocks and sheet are nice. If you've got money to burn get the carbo 40mm upper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok, thanks. I'll be on the lookout. As for the 17 pic, My girlfriend and I were trying to figure out how to load pics on the site. I sent her Matt Miller's explanation of how to load pics and I think she mistakenly loaded the example pic from Matt Miller's explanation. Sorry about the confusion.

Hopefully when I'm done doing all the little things I have on my list I'll be able to put up a pic of my girl, the boat that is, on the site. :lol: She's purty when she gets all dressed up, to me anyway. :D

James