Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

49 last January. I started sailing when I was 12 on Hobies with my cousins. Been on monohulls until 2 years ago. Bought a H16 and will never be without one again. I sold my last monohull and will probably have one again, but for sheer fun and excitement it's the 16 everytime. Lovin it. Go for it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm going into my 6th season as a kiteboarder and i'm still in one piece. With proper instruction kiteboarding is realitively painless.

Ah, but this is a hobie site. I'm going into my second season as a sailer and am absolutly obsessed with my 16. She's getting a complete overhaul right now and should b ready for a sail as soon as the ice opens up. I'd say at whatever age you are you should go for it (barring some unusual health conditions. If you have one, ask your dr first before trying).

Latr
Cory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are crazy Gree2056. We all are!!! All the work we do just for a few hours of sailing on the week-end is insanity, but we love it. Not just the sailing but working on our boats too(well, some of us :D ). All my friends want to sail with me until they find out that I take a 16 ft boat with no seats out into the ocean where sharks live. To the general public, even recreational catamaran sailing is an extreme sport. People look at us and go, WOW, that guys crazy . . . . . and we love it!!! We don't make the same ratio of investment in anything else we do. We don't go to work for five hours with the satisfaction of only being paid for two. We love to sail and all that comes with it. It's the only explaination for what we do and no amount of therapy could fix us.

Happy Sailing,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Love my 16!! Got it last year.. spent some time re-rigging it.. used it a dozen times... Look for a place that you can keep it on the water.. or next to it. I keep mine on a cat-dock that is a ramp/dock that is in a nice calm bay/park. Only pay $100 / summer for that dock spot! Only have to mast it once a year!

As for being too young/old etc.. I'm 29... just started sailing last year. Had tons of boating experiences as a kid but sailing was scary to me because my dad is insane.. ended up powerboating and jetskiing for 12-15 years instead of having the REAL fun on catamarans!

I feel like a 12 year old everytime I hoist the sail and the boat starts moving!