Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

rattle 'n hum wrote:
I went out to our club yesterday, and none of our members have the Ronstan low-pros or Hobie 1075s. Mine are newer (not newest) cars for the integrated track, and I was thinking the cleats look bigger than the Ronstans I'm remembering, but maybe not. My cleats have the same dimensions as the Ronstan 5010 which looks to be basically the same as the standard Harken 150 (that's elsewhere on the boat). I use 1/4" for the jib sheet, and am very happy with it. With that, you could definitely go down to the Ronstan 5000 or similar. (Expect that's how newer boats with smaller cleats are rigged.)

To complicate all this, the catalog description of the Hobie 1075 indicates it's a Harken (not Ronstan) cleat.

The roller fairleads are super sweet...much less friction than the bullseye.

I (and many others) tie the traveler end of the 3/16" control line to the pin (just under the head) using a half hitch with a stopper knot in the very end. Holds well and keeps the pin up. My cars have a hole in the front for the shock cord.

FYI...if needed for this cleat (or any other on the boat), you can get wedges that fit underneath to adjust the angle. I use a 10 (15 maybe) degree one on the mainsheet cleat because I'm between "clicks" on my carbo-ratchamatics when trapped out low.

Hope this info helps some.

(Guess I'm up to 6 cents, now!)

Thanks! This info is very helpful, I went with the roller fairlead, only thing left to order is the cam cleats.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Almost finished, just waiting on my cam cleats and eyestraps.

(I know it's installed backwards)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I’m a bit of a nostalgia guy, but I say leave em. Nothing like the thrill of going forward to change the jib travel solo wondering if a gust will throw you over ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

CaptObviousNC wrote:
I’m a bit of a nostalgia guy, but I say leave em. Nothing like the thrill of going forward to change the jib travel solo wondering if a gust will throw you over ;)

:lol: I have a hard enough time keeping the sails up and hulls down. I'd like to say I just like to push it to the very edge, most people will say I don't know what the hell I'm doing, probably a bit of both!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had the boat out a handful of times now and the system is super smooth. I'm very surprised by how easily the Ronstan cleats with the fairlead work, no effort whatsoever. Only issue is one of the old swivel cleats is not holding my 3/16" sta set traveler line, spring must be worn, so looking to replace both cleats next. Even with the jib pinned low, I'm still a couple inches from being block to block. Thanks everyone for the input, I'm glad I made the upgrade.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

SlowSL looking good!

You can get that jib sheeted in, just a skosh, tighter by running the bitter end of the jib sheet
through the eye strap and tying a figure eight (stopper) knot on the end

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks great! I think I’ll have to the same for my old boat, thank you for sharing the thought process and result.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The ronstan cars that are used in the kit have been discontinued by Ronstan. The track is now a bit different.

https://www.murrays.com/product/s19-c-t ... leat-stop/

The S19 track is the replacement and Murrays has the new car version... but you need to replace your track too.

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Recently got a 1985 boat and the jibsheet and traveller system was quite different to my other 16. It had me scratching my head until I found this thread. After all the advice on this thread I think I've set up the jib car travellers correctly. The previous owner has converted the original jib traveller car to be able to control it without going forward. I'd be grateful if folks could take a look and let me know if I have it set up correctly.I have the traveller sheet in a loop and not separate lines but I read some people were using two lines one for port and one for starboard. What would be the advantage of doing so? I had to tie the traveller sheet and the return bungees together on the peg/pin as there aren't any other tie on points available.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/uq3oa89hendwktj595s9l/jib-car-traveller.JPG?rlkey=typj8nbu5qhq8yi4u6ert9nuv&dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/5gcf6g4wy10qppnxkagza/jib-car-traveller-2.JPG?rlkey=5figv1ebtyzoj68h0mdrjaeue&dl=0

Also there is a short piece of track just to one side of the mast. Can anyone guess what it was used for?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2194zqx2a8ppb5c/jib%20car%20traveller%203.JPG?dl=0

Hobie 16 1985 European Championships Palma 114072

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like you have it setup correctly.

Traveler line setup is personal preference. If you use two separate lines, then generally you tie the end of each line to the shroud on the opposite side of the boat. That way it is accessible from the windward side of the boat and can be adjusted from the trapeze if needed.

The short track is not stock. My guess would be someone added it to mount something like a compass, Tacktic, GoPro, etc.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The two separate lines can be run per srm with very little slack in them so they stay put....much less likely to get fouled. I like to use two different colors (red/green) to help identify them quickly. It also helps when directing unseasoned crew...pull the green one!...uncleat the red one!