Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stop using the term ”stay” in this; it’s just confusing. I think you mean, “you can unhook the halyard if you stand on the front corner… … takes some playing to get the halyard OUT of the groove…” but I have no idea what the second stay is supposed to be in the next part. Going through it in my mind, I would release the downhaul and pull the boom up a bit, rotate the mast and unhook the halyard, then let it slip through my right hand while I pulled the sail down and out of the track. When the headboard is at the bottom, I would unhook the shackle and tie the halyard off. Then roll the sail starting at the third batten. You can make it very small and neat that way and it won’t be in your way for the rest of the work.

Robber wrote:
Update on dropping sails in water. So I ran a rope from tramp to hull tip to hull tip back to tramp and installed a net so I can drop the jib into the net. It worked great, so I will be improving the design. As for the mainsail you can unhook the halyard stay in you stand in the front corner of the tramp with the mast turned so the front of the mast faces you. Of course it takes some playing to get the stay past the top of mast into the groove. Then I hook the 2nd stay then drop the boom then continue to drop the main sail then move it forward so it doesn't interfere with the steering or raising the rudders. Next I just unhook bottom of jib at the mast and drop it folding it into the net. Then I paddle the cat onto the trailer and load it backwards. I also put a set of those boat guides on the trailer to get the cat into the trailer correctly without jumping in the water.
I also dropped in a cement block with a float to use as a mooring buoy to hook to while dropping the sails.
I will figure out and post a image of my trial net setup.
I hope this helps others in the future.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages