Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dear H16 enthousiasts!
I am the happy owner of a 1993 Hobie 16 which I completely took apart in order to carry out some necessary maintainance, just before the season starts.
Today I took off both hulls and doing so I found out that only one of them has a so called 'vent tube' in the front pylon, whereas the second hull does not seem to have any vent tube at all. I have tried to find it but a tube is nowhere to be found.
To me this is concerning because if those tubes would not be necessary, Hobie would not have implemented them in the design.

My question to you is: Hobie sells the tubes as spare parts so apparently it is possible to change and so:access and lead them to where they 'pierce' the aluminium pylon. But what is the routing of these tubes? Do they exit the pylon through a hole in the pylon just under the (front) deck of the hull? Or is there a hole at the bottom of the pylon? If you drill a hole through the foam (I actually took it all out of the pylon that lacks the tube) you can not find any opening from the inside of the pylon to the inside of the hull itself. So at first site no air could ever pass. Apparently, at the bottom of the pylon there is this horizontal (aluminium) plate/foot of the pylon but I do not (yet) feel like drilling a small hole in that plate and put a tube in, in order to allow air to get in and out the hull. However, this might be the only solution....
Thank you SO much for your imput. You really help me out here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

The lower area of the pylon should vent within the hull. The tube is about 7 1/2" long and simply gets past the foam plug. Any small tubing would work.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dear Matt,
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.
You talk about some kind of a plug that should be fitted and I saw those kinds of plugs for sale indeed but the strange thing is that my pylons have a cross like aluminium structure in them, from top to bottom, which divides the vertical structure in 4 parts, probably to stiffen the structure of the pylons, so these plugs are not applied. It seems like all 4 quarters of the pylon have been foamed up from the top to the bottom. Maybe this was a temprarily used method of constructing the pylons. Are you familiar with this construction and does your answer also work for my pylons? Thanks so much again. You really help me a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

I have never seen a pylon with 4 divisions internally. Is this for sure a Hobie product? Is the boat outside the USA? Any chance for a photo?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)