Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know this has been asked before but most those threads are 5-6 years old, but I need to get some lessons/instruction on a Hobie 16 before I go out and buy one myself. I’ve tried a few sailing schools in Long Beach and Marina Del Rey but they have no one for a Hobie. Is it realistic to be competent/not hurt myself in a couple months?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can learn anything by trial and error. It just depends on if you're willing to accept the consequences LOL!

Lessons make everything go faster and safer. You don't really need Hobie or catamaran specific lessons. Can you get lessons on a small sailboat, like a 14-20' dinghy? Keelboats are different, so they don't really translate so directly. But once you understand sail handling, reading the wind, tacking, gybing, recovering a man overboard, you can sail pretty much any boat with a degree of confidence. (again, keelboats are a bit different. For one thing, they have that pesky keel that keeps getting stuck on things.)

Once you can sail a small dinghy, then all you need is to learn the cat specific skills, like righting it after a capsize. It's harder than with a dinghy. But there are a lot of videos and forum advice for that.

Too many canoes and kayaks