Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just ordered an arriba fx3 stick and the cork ball grip accessory. It showed up with the rubber 6" handle on the end of the stick, andf the ball grip is in a plastic bag with a tube of epoxy, but no directions. The arriba site was of no help.

Whats the sets way of gettign the rubber grip off without damaging the stick? and do I just coat the inside of the cork ball with epoxy and stick it on? (I was wondering if the epoxy was to coat the outside of the ball to make it last longer.) Feels like a stupid question, but I'd appreciate any help you have. I used to always just use the stock fiberglass stick with a duct tape wrap at the end. Now that I'm an old man, figured I'd upgrade.

Sail # 21888

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might be able to work the rubber grip off by twisting it. If not, use a safety knife and slit it up one side and peel off.

The epoxe is used to glue the cork ball on. Mix it and apply liberally on the inside of the ball. Push on and twist a full turn to coat the surface of the stick. Wipe off any that pushes out and set aside to set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Somewhat unrelated, but you all reminded me of a good trick. Aqua-spray, or any hair spray for that matter, makes a great adhesive for grips and such. Its still breakable with a little working, but not to the extent of glue or epoxy. Thought I'd throw it out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. The rubber grip came off just fine, and cork ball went on smoothly

Sail # 21888