Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rudder cam screws
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I went out sailing the other day in winds that were far beyond my comfort level. But, all that aside, before I even headed out I noticed that one of the rudder cam sister screws on my boat was gone. It made the cam totally unresponsive and all lop-sided. I spent over an hour trying to figure out a solution to this problem. I ended up finding what looked like a sheet metal screw and finally got it threaded in there somehow. I know this wasn't a good solution. After barely making it to the other side of the lake(whole other story) I attempted to beach the boat and the rudder didn't kick up at all. When I manually kicked up the rudder, no suprise, my quick fix fell out. My question is, is there any was to fix this problem without the sister screws ordered directly from Hobie? I looked all over Lowe's and couldn't find anything close. I must say though, I ordered the part, as well as some replacements from Sail and Ski in Myrtle Beach the day before and they were there when I returned from my sail the next day. Much props to them for the quick turn around. But, if in need of a quick fix for this problem, is there one? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Use Blue locktight on the threads. Use a little heat to remove. Don't use red or green.

No other options that I know of.

As my sister said: "You have more spare parts than I do for my 36' sailboat" My reply: "yes, but all of the local marine stores don't carry most of the parts that I require".

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
As my sister said: "You have more spare parts than I do for my 36' sailboat" My reply: "yes, but all of the local marine stores don't carry most of the parts that I require".

Isn't that the truth. My closest hobie dealer is well over a two hour drive. I really just need to stock up on spare parts, but I'm kind of on a shoestring sailing budget. When I ordered the part I asked them about using locktight and they advised me against it. However, I wasn't aware that it came in different styles, strength I guess??? Has anyone else had the screws work themselves out? It's almost cripling if the cams aren't working properly. Not to mention that when they would kick up I had to reset the cam, sometimes on the water. Kind of a hinderence to stearing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes Locktight comes in different strengths/colors. Blue is the nut type, red is a stud type and green is for locking in dowels, die components. If you need to know, to get green apart requires heat and a hydraulic press.

One drop of blue will really hold stuff well enough, you can get it apart but it will be tough.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net